I fixed it! But is this a common thing?

Started by jimbob, July 15, 2004, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I bought a broken Deluxe Memory Man--25.00$ new but slightly used-- where the delay worked but nothing else. In fact it would only work on my distortion channel..No clean channel sounds, chorus or vibrato. Well after looking around i read somewhere that the slider switches are known to be crappy and as it turns out that was the problem. It was a bad dpdt slider that upon feel and 1st appraisal it seemed fine, but it was actually the problem. To all those w one of these, watch out for those sliders!

Anyone else had this problem?

Puretube/ or Anyone----Is this common with EH stuff? Ive even had/sold EH effect that had a component or 2 fall out--not from my doing either--just fell out in shipping..Is there a alot of these quality control problems going on? Im a big EH fan but Ive never came across a Boss with issues anuthing like this.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

aron

I don't know, but my DMM and Small Stone held up for 20+ years without any problems whatsoever. In fact, my Big Muff too!

The LPB-1's never survived though.

tcobretti

My cousin has an old Big Muff with a slider switch that turns off the tone knob (interestingly, the pedal sounds way better with the knob turned off).  The switch isn't completely bad but generates noise/static in the signal (the noise changes when you move the switch slightly).  I need to replace it for him.

Did I use enough parenthesis in this post?

AL

I repaired an EH LPB 1 and LPB 2 and both had bad switches. They were old pedals so it may be a common thing (I don't know for sure) but after 20 years I just chalked it up to general maintenance.

tcobretti - You could've put parenthesis around  "Did I use enough parenthesis in this post?" Like this (Did I use enough parenthesis in this post?) :P

AL

tcobretti

Nice! (I should have realized the last sentance was perfect for parenthesis)

Mark Hammer

Mechanical things are almost ALWAYS your first source of trouble, and that is no less true of delay units.  But wait, you say, don't you always go on ad nauseum about bias voltages to BBDs as a first step in trouble-shooting?  yes.  You know why?  Because trimpots are MECHANICAL.

As for why some units show problems with swithces and others don't, I think you have to consider that most slide switches and older stompswitches provide fairly easy acces for whatever is in the air where you normally store the pedal.  Contacts become corroded or obstructed by dust bunnies and deposits with some users, and stay flawlessly clean for years with others.