only slighty OT: Any interest in this?

Started by smashinator, July 16, 2004, 02:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smashinator

I've noticed some people mentioning their distaste for making enclosures.  I actually quite enjoy measuring and drilling holes in things.

So tell me if you would use a service where I provide a pseudo-cad template on a website (for example) for a couple sizes of boxes (probably the hammond BB and B, to start with) so you could specify exactly where you want holes, what size they are, etc  and send that info to me.  Then I go ahead and drill the box to your specs, maybe slap a coat of primer on it and ship it to you.

How much would you pay for a box (again, probably a hammond) drilled to your specs?   How about one drilled and primed?  All of the above and a base coat?  How about all that and a custom paint job (say, racing stripes or hot rod flames, etc..)?

I know a lot of you would rather make the box yourself, after all, I think it's a blast (and this IS a diy site...).  I'm just interested to see if anyone who DOESN'T like making the boxes would use a service like that.  So let me know what you think!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Peter Snowberg

If you have a small drill-press and you can keep everything consistent with jigs and the like this would be a wonderful service. :D 8)

Now we get to the issue of price... many people don't have the space or tools for making nice boxes and painting them, and like all low-quantity jobs this kind of work takes time and effort so it's going to cost a little but it's probably very worth it to many.

Do you have the costs end figured out? If you can just name a price like (for example) $22 for a 1590B box drilled with 7 holes and a coat of primer that somebody could easily hand-paint over, you'll probably get a lot more people buying boxes.

Make sure your prices make it worth your while and name them. Who knows... you might end up with a steady gig here. :D

Do you have any examples of your painting?

Take care and best of luck with it! 8)
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

downweverything

the thing i hate is the sanding and stuff... getting a raw hammond box perfectly smooth so i can powder coat it without any bumps and stuff especially around the edges is a pain for me.  id pay $15-16 bucks for a BB box ready to be powder coated.

RDV

For $15 or $16 you can buy one that is powder-coated black.

RDV

downweverything

my life needs color.  i can handle the powdercoating.

Chris S

Hey this thread is way on topic.  :D

And a service I'd be really interested in having never painted a box and as I don't like drilling them.

Unfortunately I'm in Australia (weaker currency) and not flush with funds so I'd be looking at paying $20 and under for a pre-drilled box.

But I'm sure other people would pay more.

Good Luck to you.

smashinator

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies!  I'm going to figure out what my costs will be, and I'll post my price once I get it figured out.

This weekend I was VERY naughty, and bought an air brush and compressor.  :twisted:

Once I have a pedal or two finished I'll post pictures (I've got 2 boxes waiting for completion right now).
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/