Joe D's Cold Cathode Overdrive (PCB and Layout posted!)

Started by phillip, July 16, 2004, 02:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

Has anyone put together Joe D's Cold Cathode Overdrive yet?  I'm looking to build an overdrive pedal that has more drive than the regular Tubescreamer variant, and right now I'm looking at the ROG Odie...I love the sounds it makes in the third sound clip.

How much drive does the Cold Cathode have?

Phillip

Joe Davisson

It's a high-gain preamp, it's pretty hot with my HS3 single coils, which are low-output (but high tone :)

You can play chords at high-gain (not just power chords) and they sound great. The Vulcan is like that too but is less sensitive for "shredding" solos. You might try the Vulcan on a breadboard first since it's simpler, especially if you have high-output pickups.

I'm going to try it with the seven-band EQ on Geofex, as a 2nd channel for an amp project I'm working on. Should be sweet :) (thanks RG for adapting the circuit, I was thrilled since I have exactly 7 spaces for EQ controls.)

-Joe

phillip

Here's a PCB and Layout that I drew up a little earlier.  Could someone look it over for me and make sure that all the parts are there and that it's all correct?

I think this layout will juuuuust squeeze inside a Hammond B box, but it might be tight width wise.  Joe - if you want to use these files on your site, feel free.  I'll also use them when I make the pedal a project at Fuzz Central :)  

TIA!
Phillip

Alpha579

that looks like a cool circuit, might build it after highway 89...
Alex Fiddes

RickL

I checked it over and I can't see any problems. I tried to post last night but for some reason it wouldn't accept.

Joe Davisson

Looks like a pretty tight layout, nice job! I looked it over, should be fine.  Be sure to check those collector voltages on Q2/Q4/Q6, and adjust the 10k resistors to obtain 4.5v, since the transistors vary from batch to batch. This is pretty important, which is why I preach it so much. This value makes up for all the other possible inconsistencies in the circuit. The rest is non-critical, except the transistor types.

-Joe

phillip

Thanks guys!  I'm thinking about reworking it a little so it'll accept vertical-mount trimpot on the collectors of the BJTs to make it easier to get the 4.5V  We'll see if they'll fit comfortably ;)

Phillip