$300 Overdrive ... Inside Pic

Started by Torchy, July 16, 2004, 07:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Are you guys having troubles with solders physical durability?
 I've built hundreds [I should think by now] of boards, and haven't had a problem with physical strength of solder yet...of course I don't do cross room wall banging with them either...
 Looks a bit messy/tight  in there, to my eyes, but as long as it's solid, working, should be N/P's...
 Pride and respect aside, someone who doesn't know 'different' will get a real nice sounding pedal out of the deal...and will probably never even glimpse the lineage of the design.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

Sheez, I learn sumthin new everyday on here, I been use'in JB Weld on my circuit board's for solder, that's the only thing i could find that will hold them together when you play Pedal Dart's, I thought that's what the Velcro was for ?   :shock:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
JD

black mariah

The thing is, anyone here COULD do this if they wanted to. How many original designs spring up here? All it takes is shoving it in a box, putting a price tag on it, and selling it. I sure as hell would pay for something I couldn't make myself (most everything :lol: ). Top it off with what appears to be a rather good wiring job and a sweet paintjob... okay, it's still not worth $300 to me, but you get the point. :lol:

ErikMiller

If someone buys this, and it makes them happy, they've gotten their money's worth, simple as that.

Whether it makes them happy because they have something that relatively few other people have (because it costs so much), or because they like the idea of their music going through silver solder, or because they dig the paint job, they've gotten their money's worth.

For aesthetic perspective, you can obtain a couch for $500 that will do the same physical job as one costing $5000. The only difference will be in the cosmetics.

Musical gear that looks cool makes ya wanna play. And like it or not, appearance and whatnot will make a difference in perceived sound quality.

Part of selling goods is making a quality product, part of it is how you market that product. Looks like the build quality is all right in this one. I wouldn't mass market a perfboard build, but whatever. If it works it works.  If people desire these things, then the marketing job is good, too.

We who frequent this forum are NOT the target market for this stuff.

black mariah

Quote from: ErikMiller
We who frequent this forum are NOT the target market for this stuff.

We have a winner! The target for this pedal and other pedals like it is the 40+ semi-rich guy that thinks having a good OD pedal will turn them into SRV. This isn't everyone that buys these pedals, of course, but that's the main target.

SteveB

csj, could you post that schematic again?

Thanks!
Steve

csj

I think I've got a picture...I'll check for it.

modmod

hello, anyone still got those pics of the internals ? thanks in advanced

Stuart

stm

Hi, I would appreciate if anybody is so kind to send it to me also to

s t e p p e r @ i n g . p u c . c l

(have to delete spaces--just spam avoiding paranoia!)

Thanks.

PD:  By the way, if size is a problem, PNG format is way more compact than JPG or GIF for schems.