FX "beltboard"

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), July 17, 2004, 09:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Met a "spacemusic" busker (called "The Sonic Manipulator") doing loops, tapescrape, percussion etc. Some fx on a box (with a couple of 12v lead acid batteries driving the fx & amps), but... other fx on a belt!! why don't more people do this??!  no more bending down, had a drum machine strapped to himself too.
Plus, it would stop people stealing that vintaj fx Jimi gave you at Woodstock...

Gilles C

I do...

The one on the the left for the standard smaller Hammond boxes.

And my belt on Tube Sound Fuzz is missing in the picture. Somebody borrowed it for a few weeks.

I find that useful when I want to try something new.

... The truth is... I play Blues with very old fashioned guys. So, it looks less... euhhh ...Rocker maybe, and as long as there are no flames on it, it can look for a preamp. No matter what it is.  :twisted:

The only problem is that you can't have a belt on pedal board...  :lol:

bwanasonic

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)fx on a belt!! why don't more people do this??!

Uhh... cuz it makes you look like a geek?  :D  Maybe if someone built FX into a Concho belt (ala Jimi and SRV) it would be cool.

Kerry M

Paul Marossy

I built something that I called the "Belt Drive"  :lol:
This was the original configuration for my New Clipper, but I found it to be impractical. Maybe if I had a cordless system...

Gilles C

Btw, the best use is to test drive an effect BEFORE putting it inside a guitar, for these few effects you want in your guitar.

The other  use is when you don't have time to do any setup before you play. "Just bring your guitar" as they say... Well, that's what I did, many times. But with a little add-on on my belt.  :twisted:

I saw a few guys being told to come back when there ready, because they were not tuned, or having too many effects to plug, etc...

That's without counting those having a thin sound, or a sound they don't like, just because they don't have their favorite effect or amp.

It also happened to me many times anyway...

The best other alternative: effects on your guitar strap...

I am planning something about this subject... How to use more than one guitar with the same strap having a preamp, or an effect attached to it...  :twisted:

But don't worry, it can look cool...

The Tone God

I have one of those early Zoom 9002 multi-effect strap units. Its interesting enough but screwing with changes on your belt/strap is just painful. It not like when you can just reach down and tweak a knob on a pedal. Trust me the reaching down is much easier. Plus adding new effects, like a rocker wha, is nearly impossible. Then you run around with cords attached your strap. I did the mutli-guitar one strap thing and I didn't like it either.

If you want one effect for your guitar strap ok but otherwise the strap thing just won't cut it for most players.

Just my opinion.

Andrew

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: The Tone GodTrust me the reaching down is much easier.
Let me guess, you are under 50, right? :wink:

bwanasonic

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
Quote from: The Tone GodTrust me the reaching down is much easier.
Let me guess, you are under 50, right? :wink:

Yeah, my knees and back aren't what they used to be. Mainly from spending years crouched down with a guitar on, fiddling with FX :wink:  Now I keep my *twiddliest* pedals (trem, analog delay and PDS 8000 looping delay) on top of my amp, putting them about waist high. This is also why I've evolved a setup that responds well to control with the guitar's volume and tone controls.

Kerry M

Ben N

I remember  cover (?) piece in GP on Craig Chaquico of Jefferson Starship, and he talked about his practice rig which consisted of, IIRC,  3/4 size travel guitar (Chicquita?) and something like a military-style pistol belt with a Walkman and a couple of MXR pedals in pouches--sort of a proto-Rockman.  There must have been some kind of mixer/headphone amp, too, I guess.  He'd record rhythm tracks on loop cassettes, then jam over them while walking around.  Seems to me that for the weight of those MXRs, he could have used a real guitar.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

The Tone God

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Let me guess, you are under 50, right? :wink:

Well yeah. Staying young is how I keep my figure but I don't need to reach down to tweak my effects since I only bother with one setting, full up. :twisted:

Andrew