Heavy Metal Pedal Sound Clips

Started by RDV, July 18, 2004, 02:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

Quote from: RDVIf you're building it I would socket C3 and try a .047uF first instead of a 1uF to tame some of the lows.

RDV

That was the only complaint i had, and only in a few of the clips... it seemed like the low end was a little tooo emphasized.  that's the bass players teritory.... anyways, it sounds pretty damn good, and not overly compressed like a lot of metal pedals.

you will have to excuse me now... i must go worship satan, and kill some bunnies.

Brian

black mariah

Sounds like an Orange cranked to the brink of extinction. Gotta love it! The low end sounds fine to me, then again I'm on the search for the brown note. :lol:

RDV

I did some experimenting last night with the prototype and tried a .047 @ C3 and it took out too much low-end, made it sound like a tube screamer or something, so I tried a .1uF which was a lot better. I'm just trying to get happening with my Marshall. Those with SS amps may like 1uF(sounded great through my old Peavey Bandit 65), though I think even with those folks that .47uF will probably do the job(@ C3). I would have posted this last night but a limb fell on my phone line night before last, so I ain't got no internet @ home right now. :cry:

All in all, you've just about got to socket C3 and find a value you like.

RDV

RDV

crp

RDV

Joe Davisson

Sounds pretty heavy & versatile as well.

-Joe

RDV

Thanks Joe. I've just been kinda obsessed with opamps the last couple of months. I'll probably go back to BJTs and stuff before too long.

Regards

RDV

Joe Davisson

One nice thing about opamps is they always work, no fussy biasing. Two I like are the BA4558 and OP07 models, the latter being a good 741 replacement because of the JFET input.

-Joe

Paul Marossy

RDV-

So these sound clips, are they recorded with the full blown version? You know, parametric EQ and all that...

If so, how does the HMP Light version compare?

RDV

Quote from: Paul MarossyRDV-

So these sound clips, are they recorded with the full blown version? You know, parametric EQ and all that...

If so, how does the HMP Light version compare?
The clips were recorded with the full version, but with the boost/cut knob @ 12:00, so there was no boost or cut going on. So I think the lite version can sound just like the clips. A few people have built it so far and say they like it. I actually haven't completed a lite version yet, but I populated a board last night and plan to wire it up and fire it up 2nite.

I've also changed the cap to Vr in the first stage from a 1uF to a .1uF to lessen the bass whollop that it had so it will be more compatible with guitar amps. The current schematics reflect this(this cap should be socketed IMO). If you make a PCB for it from the layout that Gringo did, there are 2 traces that will almost surely join. I've modified a PCB so this won't happen that is in Schematics 2, it's a file where the PCB is by itself, the PDF still has the version with the traces too close together. I'm going to add a fixed version of the lite version also when I get home from work.

The bass boost/cut knob is pretty subtle actually, though the cut has a fairly dramatic effect. The Resonance pot plays a large role in what it does. At 0 it keeps the peaks and notch very narrow allowing pinpoint adjustments. As you turn it up, the response gets wider.

Setup tips for both versions:

1. Turn up Gain 1 all the way, then bring gain 2 up till you like the sound.

2. The Sat control has more control over the sound than any knob on it as it will either saturate to the point of compression or have a very open amp-like sound in the other direction(I like the more open sound). This may be one to make a panel mounted 1k pot(especially on the lite version, it would be a 6th knob on the full version).

Have Fun

RDV

Paul Marossy

Thanks RDV.

If I do build this one (which is probably inevitible), I think it will be with the parametric EQ, only because I like a lot of control.  :wink:

RDV

Quote from: Paul MarossyThanks RDV.

If I do build this one (which is probably inevitible), I think it will be with the parametric EQ, only because I like a lot of control.  :wink:
Then definitely socket C9 & C10 as they determine the frequency range of the parametric, you may want to control mids more than bass. Just use a 10 to 1 ratio and try different values.

RDV

puretube

WOW - that is heavy - reminds me of EL34s @ 800V  :)
don`t think the bass is too heavy
(maybe when the t.c. gets maxed?)

great sound!

RDV

Quote from: puretubeWOW - that is heavy - reminds me of EL34s @ 800V  :)
don`t think the bass is too heavy
(maybe when the t.c. gets maxed?)

great sound!
Thanks Ton! That's why I say to socket C3. A 1uF gets that super-heavy bass sound which really sounds good direct(like the samples), or through an SS amp. .1uF is more a normal bass response so you can use it with a tube amp. A switch to go between the 2 caps would be a good idea. :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:

Regards

RDV

thomas2

cool clips man! altough i quit playing with distortion a long time ago.. your clips reminded me of the good old days..  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole