Voodoo Lab Microvibe ???????????????

Started by BD13UK, July 18, 2004, 06:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BD13UK

Hi,
Anyone have one of these ? I think it does a really good Vibe clone but seems to colour/muffle the original sound a bit and I was wondering if a change of input or output cap would make a difference, would appreciate any assistance with this as although I've tinkered with simple FF type circuits this is new territory to me.
Thanks
Brian

b_rogers

i believe there is a trim pot inside that controls the brightness of the lamp...mark its position then while playing tweak the pot a little. it helped my ultravibe a lot.  hope this helps

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

jrc4558

First of all, I would like to say that VooDoo Labs are making very good sounding and well build pedals. really liek them.

Regarding the coloration:
Mark Hammer, who is a wise man in guitar gadgets, once pointed out that the DEPTH control on Vibes and such, usually alters the depth of modulation of the filters, rather that the depth of the modulated signal against the dry signal. Thus, basically at minimum depth you have not the clean signal, but filtered, "stuck" at one of the extremes of the sweep range. That explains the coloration.

I haven't seen the insides of the MicroVibe, however, I imagine that you could comehow emulete the maximum depth with fixed-value resistors and use the DEPTH potentiometer to alter the proportion of the wet and dry signal in the output. That would give you a MIX rather than depth. You will be able to go to the pure tone without coloration on one extreme, and some vibrato madness on the other.

Having said that all I would like to discourage you from modding the VooDoo Lab's pedal.  Build an EZ Vibe from John Hollis website. Use same LEDs for all required to get the bias right, use TL062/064's for the same reason. You will be able to perfboards it and then you will have yourself a completely CUSTOM Vibe that (at leaast to my ears) sounds better that VooDoo.

Good luck.

bwanasonic

Quote from: BD13UKHi,
Anyone have one of these ? I think it does a really good Vibe clone but seems to colour/muffle the original sound a bit

When I was amp shopping a few years ago, I spent some time at the music store with the MicroVibe. I guess I felt it didn't color the sound enough! Didn't feel quite thick and *chewy* enough to me, but maybe I just needed to tweak the internal trimpot.  

Kerry M

jrc4558

Here it is!
Check this article out. The mix control I was talking about canbe sen here.

http://sound.westhost.com/project49.htm