Solder Stations

Started by Hungeryhippie, July 19, 2004, 05:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hungeryhippie

hello, I brought my self a temp controlled solder station at the weekend.

this one

It was from maplins, on sale, £9.99 from £29.99

I have never had one of these before.

What temp do i set it at?

and it says it has an "Anti-static ground output" how useful is this? does it connect to a ground point ie the common ground on the bench power supply?

there was next to no info that came with it, just a warning that the human body and animals would get damaged if they come in contact with the iron or the black cover.

thank you

Peter Snowberg

At that price I assume this is a regular style iron with an AC dimmer. Try setting it to 1/2 and using it a bit. If the rosin in the solder turns quickly to carbon crud, lower the temp. If the solder feels a little plastic (when using 60/40 solder), increase the temp to where it works well.

Without a temperature guage, all you can do is try some settings and see what they do. Use the lowest temperature that makes it easy to work and your tips will last a long time if you use brass woll for cleaning.

Congrats on your new iron. :D

Take care,
-Peter

PS: If it's an actively controlled iron it should heat up to working temperature in under 2 minutes. If it's not, you might want to turn the heat up when you first apply power to heat it faster and then turn it down once it's hot.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/?userid=SearchEngine&targetmodule=11517
I think it IS adjustable! grab it guys! but, get some spare tips too, because you never know when tips are going to disappear off the market..

Hungeryhippie

the link you put up isnt the one i got, Mine was £9.99. I did by a packet of spare bit for it though, thought that would be useful. I havent used it yet though.