Easiest Synth Build?

Started by Arn C., July 20, 2004, 12:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: mirzai have question about synths.
in this "The Sound Lab Mini-Synth" project there is a "gate in" "osc-1&2 cv" and ofcourse output.
wtf is "gate in" and "osc 1,2 cv"?
:shock:  :(  :evil:  :?:
In an analog synth, you need a way to let it know when to make a sound, and what pitch to make.
The "make a sound" control is called the GATE, and is often (not always) a +10v or so signal. When the gate goes high, this starts the envelope generator or whatever.
And the CV, which stands for "control voltage" is a voltage that controls the frequency of an oscillator. there are two "standards" here, one is where the frequency is directly proportional to the voltage, and the oter (more common) is a system where the CV is proportional to the log of the frequency, to be exact, one octave per volt. So if 5v corresponds to 440Hz, then 6V gives 880 Hz and so on.
As usual, wikki says it better:

http://www.free-definition.com/CV-Gate.html

mirza

so u say i can build this thing, plug my guitar, mic in somewhere and make noises and wierd sounds?
it's working!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: mirzaso u say i can build this thing, plug my guitar, mic in somewhere and make noises and wierd sounds?

NO, not at all!!
Because (as I just said) the whole point of the CV and gate inputs is to control the synht, whihc is a freestanding soundmaking instrument, nothing to do with guitars or mics.
Now it is possible (but difficult) to come up wiht circuits that will take an external signal (guitar, voice or whatever) and derive CV and gate signals from them to control a synth, and some fx have all this happening inside them. But it is pretty complex to do this.

maximee

QuoteNow it is possible (but difficult) to come up wiht circuits that will take an external signal (guitar, voice or whatever) and derive CV and gate signals from them to control a synth, and some fx have all this happening inside them. But it is pretty complex to do this.

Paul... do you have more information on this? (a link? a project?)
Sounds very promising to me.... :D
Thanks.

puretube