Morley Power Phase 'malfs'

Started by petemoore, July 21, 2004, 09:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Trying to debug a MPP...
 Signal passes bypass mode, nothing comes out when in phase mode...
 Obviously needs some debugging there but...
 The Indicator bulb, which also provides light to 3 LDR's [two med sized and one very small {;mod;?}, seems to be 'fluttery' but lights well enough for the most part...
 This bulb/ 3 LDR's seem also to cause another bulb, on the board, to change in brightness [the board bulb has a ring of LDRS around it] but only lights from dim orange glow, to orange glow [also 'dim']...
 Obviously this is just a 'preliminary' malfunction analysis...and I certainly have 'more' work to do with the debugging...
 I'm just posting early in case anyone 'in the know' on these units has suggestions as to where to look first [there are plenty of places to look] for problems...
 A schematic of the unit would surely be useful, is there one available?
 Thank you for your time, any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

OK Here's the MC1741p  Pin Voltages
 OA 1,
 PIN:
 1 -23.9
 2 -.59
 3 .0
 4 -23.9
 5 -23,9
 6 -23.4   [This pin of OA 2 is at .0v
 7 24.7
 8 .0
 OA 2
 PIN
 1 -23.9
 2  .0
 3  23.9
 4  -23.8
 5  -23.8
 6  .0
 7  24.4
 8  0
 OA 3
 PIN:
 1 .0
 2 .0
 3 .0
 4  -23.9
 5  -23.9  
 6 ..0
 7  .0
 8  .0
 OA 4
 PIN
 1   .0
 2  0
 3  0
 4  -23.9
 5  -23.8
 6  .0
 7  24.7
 8  0
 OA 5
 PIN
 1  .0
 2  .0
 3  .0
 4  -23.9
 5  -23.8
 6  .0
 7  24.6
 8  .0
 OA 6
 PIN
 1  .0
 2  .0
 3  .0
 4  -23,9
 5  -23.8
 6  .0
 7  24.6
 8  .0
 OA 7
 PIN
 1  -23.9
 2  .0
 3  .0
 4  -23.9
 5  -24
 6  .o
 7  24.6
 8  0
 These opamps were numbered as opamp 1 being on the power supply end, [but on the other side of the board], and opamp 7 being by where the light shields are
 AND the MPSA 18:
 E .91
 B  10.8
 C  31.8v
 The traces of the PCB are on the top of the board with the component bodies, OA 7  has been replaced, also looks a little messy.
 I'm seeing 741, and reading continuity between all pins #7's, and also all the pins #4 are connected, *I'm figuring these as the PS pins of the 741's?

petemoore

The LFO must be working, the lamps pulse with rate controlled by the treadle.
 I told dude' I 'd try debugging [fix] it, I think I found some problems, the OA voltages seem wierd...
 Anyone have suggestion for fixing this unit, I could use a little cash, and 'effect guru' esteem...without operating voltages for PS, or a schematic, It's looking like a daunting task...
 Any Ideas???

petemoore

Well I've been thinkin...
 OA 7, with it being re-soldered into the traces atop the board, probably is a damaged item..only way I can figure is to make a pef on perf socket extension, with longer wire extensions for soldering it in, and see if the voltages don't look more normal after that.
 Could one bad OA throw the rest of them in the circuit off in the voltages?

petemoore

This one too is a possible fix it job.
 Very high parts count, one IC's been soldered to the boards top traces, probly burnt, would take 'some' doing to make a socket for this one...
 Could it be the OA is throwing the voltages off on everything else? I forgot to take notes on that burnt OA...seems like they could burn into conducting where they shouldn't???
 Again, without schematic, or any PS voltage references, I'll be shooting in the dark, looks like I won't be jumping in over my head on this one either...
 ANY help, suggestions or ideas are quite welcome still...