wat do I need to sound funky?

Started by Athin, July 21, 2004, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

When I was with that bassist we got to talking about basses and setups. I mentioned that while I don't play bass much I do have a stock P-Bass with .105 flat wounds. He seemed to rejoice when I said that replying "Flatwounds on a P-Bass, thats such a classic combination. What a great sound". I didn't know that. I just use them cause I like 'em. I didn't mention that my bass is set up with such high action (pushing over 1cm at the 12th on the low E) that it is almost impossible to play slap on it. My bass has what I would consider slightly weak pickups which are fine for me as I play through a head that I built which is loaded right now with 6550s into cabs with 15"s. No pedals needed.

On the topic of The ONE it is important in other types of music including R&B, blues, rock, and even reaggae, which is IMHO the scaryist type of music to play bass for. I watched a band last week where the bassist, who went to some big fancy music college and was more interested in wanking then playng a supporting role for the rest of the band, just did not seem to understand playing root on The ONE. It would cause the band and audience to get confussed. I just about ran up and grabbed the bass from him but realized it would be futile since the drums would still be completely out of tune and I would end up beating the keyboardist with the bass for using a penny whistle synth sound for a solo. Worst band I've seen in some time.

Enough from me. :)

Andrew

Halion

Beeing a bassplayer at heart, I can only second the motion:

The One (and sometimes the two, but stick with the one for now).

aaronkessman

when i first started playing guitar i came across a question like this in a usenet group. the answer was basically "get a cheap strat and a cheap solid state amp". for some reason this has always stuck with me and I think of it whenever i think of my old crappy crate SS...

Mark Hammer

Yep, there's a reason why it's called *rhythm* 'n blues.  Far more a question of feel than any particular tonal formula.  That being said, clean bright tones allow the user to work the high end in order to modulate emotional expressiveness.

Ed G.

LIving close to New Orleans, I have to say that New Orleans funk IS funk...
Listen to The Meters.

Brian Marshall

what you really need to do is quit guitar and play bass.

bwanasonic

Quote from: Brian Marshallwhat you really need to do is quit guitar and play bass.

Uhh, tell that to Jimmy Nolen and  Leo Nocentelli  and Nile Rodgers and Gary Shider and Prince and, well you get the idea I hope...

Kerry M

Brian Marshall

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: Brian Marshallwhat you really need to do is quit guitar and play bass.

Uhh, tell that to Jimmy Nolen and  Leo Nocentelli  and Nile Rodgers and Gary Shider and Prince and, well you get the idea I hope...

Kerry M

that was supposed to be a joke... but really funk with a good bass line isnt very funky

puretube