News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Old Man - OT

Started by WGTP, July 21, 2004, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

When I was a kid I would go to a concert or club and see an old man standing around looking out of place and think about how pitiful he was.  Guess who the old man is now? :roll:

There are things l would like to go to, but I feel really self conscious about standing out and being the pitiful "dirty" old man. "Hey Aqualung"  :oops:

Anyone else have that problem?   :shock:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

AL

I feel your pain ... Mine is in my lower back and my knees. :?

AL

Nasse

You should see the bright side - the amount of young women goes up all the time (no bad intentions, I´m reserved and too old)

I miss the time when kids were so young they come at rock concert with you.
  • SUPPORTER

RDV

I looked more out of place in a concert or club when I was young than I do now......late bloomer.

RDV

ErikMiller

Quote from: WGThickPresenceThere are things l would like to go to, but I feel really self conscious about standing out and being the pitiful "dirty" old man. "Hey Aqualung"  :oops:

Anyone else have that problem?   :shock:

Sure, but I think I've overcome it. One thing is not to try to be like the kids. You are there for your own reasons, perhaps a little different from theirs. You're there to actually see the band, while they are there to see the band, pick up on the opposite sex, show their friends that they're cool, etc.

At times when I've been uncomfortable, I've sort of pretended that I'm a producer or other music industry person who's there on a professional level.

One thing to remember is that everyone there with you will eventually be older than you are now, unless they die first!

And as far as being "pitiful," which is more pitiful: still being so interested in music that you're out there watching and listening at age 50 (or whatever), or having music be merely a youth accessory and something that you won't care about in 15 years?

Maybe for some watching live music is something you only do when you're young, and then when you get older it's a night in front of the telly with sitcoms and chat shows, but not for me.

StephenGiles

We were so much older then - we're younger than that now! What we need to remember is that the guys who can really play are mostly now aged between 50 and 90 (How old is Les Paul?)
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

WGTP

Good points.  I guess it's ultimately more pitiful to stay home and feel sorry for myself.  I'm afraid the aging gracefully deal isn't working for me.

It's like when I see someone that is really out of shape jogging.  I used to make fun of them, now I admire there courage and  persaverence and cheer them on.   :shock:

Boy, am I an arrogant SOB.   :oops:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

black mariah

Quote from: StephenGilesWe were so much older then - we're younger than that now! What we need to remember is that the guys who can really play are mostly now aged between 50 and 90 (How old is Les Paul?)
Stephen

But... I'm only 23. :lol:

Shameless self-promotion is fun. ;)

Gilles C

Yeah, I know. More and more people are beginning to salute me with a "Hi sir" now than before.

In french... they say "vous" in place of 'tu" as was the usual  before.

So I feel older.

But at least, I'm not alone where I go. I meet a few more old guys that started playing guitar when the Beatles and the Stones were the kings of the show business.

Gilles

SoundTech

Almost, I'm still in between old and young.  I do remember  many a year ago seeing Testament at a local club.  There was a guy there that looked like he should be in his 70's having fun and dancing and flirting with the girls.  Not being dirty, just having fun.  I didn't think poorly of him for being there, I admired him for doing it and just having fun.  Honestly, I was wondering if he was out to have fun for the heck of it, or if he was maybe diagnosed with something terminal and was carpi-ing the diem.  Either way, he had the right idea.  It's not about who's in the crowd, it's about who's on stage (And I don't mean the stage diving audiance members).  It's the music.  Everyone's there for the music.  I was able to see Neil Young about 5 years ago for free in a big arena, and there were a LOT of older people there (older then I).  There was a range of ages, which was great, but I actually felt like I was the younger member of the crowd, and the minority.  Kinda odd, but cool none the less.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

Lonestarjohnny

I Feel and look like Cole Younger at a IceCream Social, it's fun though and sometime's I take My Bueatiful Daughter with me and I always get a Laugh as some young Stud say's, look at that Old Letcher, bet she's only with him for his money, Hardy Har Har Har, Make's me bout piss myself I laugh so hard, so yeah I know how how you feel. can't quite figure out what it is that makes us stick out like a Sore Thumb  :roll:  :wink:
JD
PS{ Who Care's, I Don't }

joao bernardo

Yes WGTP, i felt like that. But the music is still good, the beer... And the girls never change... I hope I have a few more years, so I can understand a LPB1, and how to play a six stringed instrument.

Hal

i know what you mean ;)

there's an old guy (like 40 or something) who's in the mosh pits at all the local shows.  Im always scared i'm gunna hurt him

LOL

sorry man.  My dad always says the same thing... "sh*t, im getting old!  I cant see a thing!  I used to be able to solder like that..."

toneman

But, R U Experienced??
Have U ever been Experienced?

Well, have ya punk!
Go Ahead & make my day.

And ta think i coulda played accordian...
B U're never 2 old 2 R & R!!
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!