News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Bazz Fussin'

Started by javacody, July 22, 2004, 04:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

javacody

OK, here I am, in the mood for a quick build, right. Something simple that after two years of doing this off and on should take about an hour right? Some of you are probably already smacking your heads.   :D   It always happens when we get %^&*y, doesn't it?  LOL

Anyway, so I'm checking out the Muff Fuzz sound clips at runoffgroove and I decide when I'm there to check out the Bazz Fuss. Wow! I check out Gary's version, and I like it even more, its a little more polished. Then I checked out Tim Escobedo's clip. Holy Shit Batman! I needs to build this!

Ok, got all the parts available and fire up the soldering iron. Who can guess my first mistake? If you guessed wrong pinout of the 2n3904, then you would be correct! Doh! Ok, no biggie, so my perf will be a little on the messy side right?   :wink:  So hook her up and splat! Fart! Sizzle, sizzle fading into nothingness. What the fuh? My second mistake (other than being %^&*y  ;) ) was not connecting my diodes to the base of the first 2n3904. Double Doh! Dab a little solder bridge on there and wow! This thing smokes. Sounds good through my Les Paul and my Strat. I'm a happy cat. The pedal no longer goes splat. Ok, enough with the rhyming. I just want to encourage anyone who hasn't tried the bazz fuss to give it a shot. I'm very happy with it. It just became my favorite fuzz. Trimpots? We don't need no steenkin trimpots!

Here are the links that will help you on your way should you decide to accept this quest:

http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/fuzz.html

Tim, Brian, and Gary, I know these are older projects, but I must say thank you yet again for your wonderful contributions!

Almost forgot, I went with three 918 type diodes for a little asynch clipping and a 1K gain pot (because its what I had).

christian

This isn´t an old project, it´s not even 2 years when I cooked that one up.

I have to say that at first time I played with attaching diodes on different places on a transistor and got this out of it, I never believed that someone would actually like this. This is because I actually never got out a smooth decay running(except with double-humbuckers, maybe), and try that with smaller gain! So I had to make it as loud as I could get it to get even reasonable decay.
Original version had 100k resistor in the collector and this was sputtery as hell, and then I tried it with 10k and it was smoother, but still! (or did I get the resistor values otherway around?).

Try the BuzzBox! You´ll love it. It´s a sick*ss two-trannie kickbox!
Just don´t forget that the first diode should be Ge or Schkxtky diode or something with very low voltage drop. And that was a mistake by the way!
who loves rain?

Christ.

javacody

Oops, I forgot to thank you too Christian! Thanks for the cool project.

I found the version at Tim Escobedo's site to be very smooth and creamy with a strat (Fender Custom Shop 69's, fairly low output single coils) and PAF style humbuckers in my Les Paul copy.

christian

I listened to one of those samples (was it at Tim´s or where, don´t remember), but all I kept thinking that "is this the same circuit???".
Nothing like that.
That´s why I called it the bazz fuss, cause I originally made it to be used with bass(the big caps come because of this), bass gave more input so it didn´t sputter so much.
Should I make out a QuitarFuss?
who loves rain?

Christ.

javacody

Sure. Do you have any sound clips of how it sounds with bass?

moosapotamus

Here's some samples of bass through a slightly :mrgreen: modified Buzz Box...

http://www.moosapotamus.com/buzzsaw/buzzsaw.htm

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

christian

neat sounding moosapotamus. Nothing like the real BuzzBox though, mine gives a really wicked octave. Also squashes any sound with slight falling decay. Sicker than any octave-up box!

Sorry, I don´t have samples, I don´t even have a bazz fuss. They´ve all gone to my friends that play bass..
who loves rain?

Christ.

travissk

Sounds great :)

I built a Muff Fuzz a while back on a breadboard and ended up needing the breadboard for something else. Maybe I'll make a permanent one sometime soon, because it sounded good and was pretty simple.