Flanger Question

Started by Sic, July 22, 2004, 05:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

My friend (bassist) and i were talking about  making a flanger pedal that has a 3 band parametric EQ, and a crossover for a specific range on his bass. Any ideas where i should start looking for a project similar to this, or where i should read up so i can do this? the 3band eq isn't a problem, the crossover shouldn't be a problem, and im sure i can find a simple flange and mod it for bass...

My only question is where each part of the circuit should follow the other?

Eq-Flange-Crossover?

StephenGiles

All this eq and crossover may add considerable noise to an already noisy effect, just thinking out loud!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Rodgre

Check out the Electrix Mo-Fx unit. It has this great setup with distortion, tremolo, flanger and delay, all syncable to tap tempo or MIDI, and here's the cool thing. Each effect has a three band crossover, so you can just tremolo the lows and get a pulsing throb, and just flange the mids and the highs, and just delay the mids, etc.....  Is that the sort of thing you're thinking of?

Roger

Scott Swartz

I think you may be over complicating the design.

You can control the amount of bass freqs that get flanged easily by the RC constant (R8,9 and C5,6 on the Boss BF-2 schem in my files) that feeds the anti-alias filter before the BBD, and of course the anti alias filter itself rolls off the highs, thereby effectively flanging a specific band of freqs.

Refer to the Boss BF-2 schem online and study the signal flow, you'll see what I am saying here.

Mark Hammer

It's not clear from your note (and especially from the variety of suggestions it prompts) what it is you want the parametric control to DO.

Do you want to tone-shape an already flanged sound?
Do you want to restrict the swept delay action to only part of the audio spectrum in some manner?
Do you want to divide up an already flanged signal for subsequent band-specific processing?

I'm confused and need a little more clarification.

StephenGiles

Mark - I'm dazed and confused........
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Sic

I **think** "Wanting to restrict the swept delay action (flange) to only part of the audio spectrum"

I'll check with my friend... at first i was thinking just tone shaping, but im sure he wants the parametric controls to control the crossover he requested.

Sorry if this quetion is a little to broad/annoying.

I read the Geofx thing about flanges, but i think i will read it a couple more times till it sinks in fully.

gez

If you can get hold of a Boss Hi-Band Flanger you could pull it apart to see what's going on and maybe mod it for bass.  I have one, but to this day have been unable to get the bloody screws loose to hack into it!!!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter