Tonebender piggyback schem?

Started by Joe Hart, July 22, 2004, 09:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

Does anyone know where I can find a schematic for a piggybacked version of the Tonebender (2 knob)? Or is it as simple as sticking the two transistors with the trim pot to adjust gain where each single trasistor was?? Thanks!!!
-Joe Hart

petemoore

Check out Miss Piggy, and standard FF schem / compare
 Use an 8 pin IC socket marker on top
 left column of pins is for q1
 right column of pins is for Q1b [pig Q]
 pin
1  Q1 collector
2 Q1 base
3  Q1 base, pin 4 [and where emitter goes to in schem]
4  pin 3               [  ''  ''    ''     '' '' ''     ''     ''  ''    ''  '  ]
5  pin 6
6  Q1b emitter and pin 5
7  pin 2 [Q1 base]
8   not connected.
 Use a trim pot in place of Q1's collector resistor
 method of piggybacking can be used to piggyback a transistor on any transistor....FF, TB, Rangemaster,  ?...
 Piggybacking is basically connecting a base and emitter of a transistor to the base and emitter of a transistor in a circuit. Then, adding resistance between Q1 emitter and it's connections, and Q2 emitter: reduces the gain reducing effect [beings the gain back up] allowing you to 'tune the gain of that stage of the circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

b_rogers

i think if i was going to build a TB piggybacked, i would either socket the bais resistors for each trannie, or trimpot to set bias for each.  then maybe socket the resistor that connects the emitters of Q1a Q1b Q2a Q2b etc. etc.
that way you can set the "piggyness" if you will, and the bias  of each trans. you can go further and socket the transistors too where you can run it piggyfied or normal without soldering and unsoldering them, or make it switchable..

look at the layout of mrs piggy (on here somewhere, search for it) and look how the transistor traces on the board are routed to get an idea of how it works. also read a few of the threads and it will explain a lot of your questions

hope this helps,

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

petemoore

To 'de-pig' a Piggy backed transistor, pull the second 'pig' transistor...then re-bias.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.