Wah into Vol mod problem. How do I get it to be silent?

Started by moogatroid2000, July 23, 2004, 04:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogatroid2000

I did a simple mod to my wahwah to use it as a volume pedal, I simply put a switch on one end of a 4.7 cap.
It works and sounds fine enough, but I can't get it to go completely silent.
I tried simply moving the pot back but it leaves me witha useless wah.
I tried to use a breadboard to experiment with using trim pots but got nowhere with it.
Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with half a volume pedal?  :lol:
live and learn.

Travis

The pots in most wahs do not get full rotation.  

You need to rearrange the pot so that it is completely shorted to ground/off at your chosen end of the pedal throw.

RickL

This might work. Use a dpdt switch and a trim pot. Wire the trim, as a variable resistor, between the wah pot and where it attaches to the circuit at the bass/low volume end of its rotation. Adjust the pot, as you tried, so the pot rotates all the way to one end when the pedal is all the way back.

Use one half of the dpdt the same way as you use the current cap lift switch. The other half of the switch is wired so that when the cap is disconnected (volume pedal mode) the trim is shorted. In the other switch position (wah mode), the cap is connected and the trim is no longer shorted.

You'll have to adjust the trim to get the right frequency at the bottom end of the pedal sweep. If I'm thinking about this correctly with the trim at 0 ohms you'll get the results you're getting now by moving the pot back and as you increase the trim resistance you'll get closer and closer to the original response (as if the pot was in its original position). If the resistance gets big enough it should feel like it's not sweeping low enough.