Gibson Inductor/chokes ...

Started by R.Kent S., July 23, 2004, 08:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.Kent S.

Greetings all, does anyone have any info on the 7.2H and 1.5H inductors (they are shielded) that Gibson uses in their varitone circuits. Specifically a manufacturer/model number. On the technical side of things however, does anyone know what the DCR of each was, I was told 725ohms for the
7.2H inductor. Any guess on the 1.5 as used in other versions. Any leads to where I can purchase various shielded inductors in various Q's, and various high levels of inductance (relatively small of course ... yeah I know, don't say it ... :lol: ) Thanks in advance to all.  8)

yo7604

rks, i cant tell you exactly but heres something i do know:

a varitone kit that is avail from a company that sells custom kits, parts, etc.  uses a small transformer from mouser and cuts off the leads on one side.  the other side is center tapped and this can be used to change the value of the indutor.  

the part number is:42TL024

dont nkow the exact henries but it sounds close to my blues hawk with origional gibson 1.5h varitone.

if interested i can look up whether you use pri or sec on trans. (its small enough to fit in guitar).

sorry i cant be more exact, i too would be interested in finding small inductors.

i dont trust my multimeter when measuring inductance for some reason.

mark

R.Kent S.

Quote from: yo7604rks, i cant tell you exactly but heres something i do know:

a varitone kit that is avail from a company that sells custom kits, parts, etc.  uses a small transformer from mouser and cuts off the leads on one side.  the other side is center tapped and this can be used to change the value of the indutor.  

the part number is:42TL024

dont nkow the exact henries but it sounds close to my blues hawk with origional gibson 1.5h varitone.

if interested i can look up whether you use pri or sec on trans. (its small enough to fit in guitar).

sorry i cant be more exact, i too would be interested in finding small inductors.

i dont trust my multimeter when measuring inductance for some reason.

mark

Well, one ... your DMM won't measure inductance if it an average DMM and even a lot of LCR meters don't like to measure the high values ((`250mH and up)), two I'm familiar with Mouser's transformers (I have more than a few model L specs on hand, they were kind enough to pull a few models from production and run the inductance tests for me. I'm familiar with that exact model (S Ahola recommends that one,amoung others); however it reads between 850mH~890mH (1kHz. @ 1Vrms). I'm more concerned with getting the inductance values and the Q values exact, along with being externally shielded as well.  As getting the Q exact is as important in my research and applications work as is getting the L value.
 Also does anyone know the DCR of the inductor that is used iin the Bill lawrence Q filter (approximately 900mH), he states it to be of a *low Q* design ...which leads me to wonder as to it's DCR.
Thanks for the reply Mark,I do appreciate it ... 8)
Also, once I get some technical problems resolved with this forum (it happens everytime I join one) My name will just be Kent S. Just call me Kent please. Mark,Aron,RG,JD, everybody ... Thanks again Mark.  8)