Highway 89 volume pot?

Started by Alpha579, July 24, 2004, 12:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

Hey all,
Im in the middle of building a highway 89, and ive found my local jaycar dont stock 16mm log 500K pots, the highest they have is 16mm 50K log. Could i use this without much affect, if any, on the sound?
Thanx for all help,
Alex
Alex Fiddes

Lonestarjohnny

I think it would somewhat, the 500k long shaft should be readily availible, just about all guitar's with humucking P/u's will have the 500k pot, so most music store's stock this pot as a replacement for Gibson's, Ehpi's, Ibenez,
JD

Paul Marossy

It will affect the sound. You will have ten times less resistance to ground on your volume pot. You probably won't have that much distortion at the output compared to the 500K pot. At least that is how I understand it...

Alpha579

k, so the 50k pot isnt a great idea, but what about using a linear pot?
Alex Fiddes

Alpha579

Just thinking about it, could i just taper the linear 500k pot? by putting a resistor across the wiper and one outer lug? if so, what value would i use?
Thanx,
Alex
Alex Fiddes

RDV

You could use the 500k linear as is until you get a replacement. Won't hurt anything, the volume will just come up a lot quicker.

RDV

Alpha579

what if i put a 250K res between one outer lug and the wiper, would that make it log?
Alex Fiddes

Paul Marossy

I'm not sure. Read "The secret life of pots" at www.geofex.com
I believe that it will tell you how to do that somewhere in that article.

Alpha579

i think ill just use a linear, it wont make a huge amout of difference...
Alex Fiddes

Alpha579

well i just bought a 1m linear pot, so ill just use that i guess :(
Alex Fiddes