question for you guys...

Started by el duderino, July 24, 2004, 07:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el duderino

hey people
i have some spare parts lying around and want to make something out of them. im goind to make a volume pedal with them which is easy enough
but i was thinking about adding an optional function where you can flick flick a toggle switch and then control the volume by means of an LDR a la theremin style  :D what you guys think?shouldnt take a whole lot.
any ideas??
you can keep my finger nails clean

Peter Snowberg

Sounds like a great idea to me :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

el duderino

cool, do any of you know of such a pedal maybe not volume but worfks on the same principles, i would like to get some more information about it and take a look at how other people do it??
thanks
eamonn. 8)
you can keep my finger nails clean

travissk

There's always theremins, as you mention. The ZVex Trem Probe (http://www.zvex.com/trem.html) operates on an RF field; it uses a copper plate, not a LDR, but it's an "air volume pedal" just the same.

As for CdS cells, Effector 13 uses them on the face of the pedal, the 4ms trem and phaser (schems at commonsound.com) are decently simple circuits that use them internally, and I'm sure that plenty of people here have stuck them on their boxes, since you can substitue them for resistors/pots in your circuit. They're fun things to mess with :D

Essentially all you have to do is swap out the pot for the LDR with the switch and you're set. You may have to add resistors in series/parallel with the LDR to get the desired volume range... a second pot is a good option there.