Purist opinions amps/effects.damn moddlers!?..

Started by jimbob, July 24, 2004, 05:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I bought this POD 2.0 (edit)for 35.00 usd$--Hell of a deal! New but missing manual...anyway,...This thing is supposed to immulate a ton of different amps and effects. This is after ive built over 35-40 diff effects from the ROG site, Tonepad, and GGG site. Has anyone used this thing or other moddlers and compared them. I know there are a lot of purists out there who want nothing to do with this digital (crap) but what the hell..it WAS only 35$ bucks new. Of course ill still use my others as i can tweak the hell outta them. BUt this is the 1st time if ever bought this sorta emmulater thingy...

Has anyone used this or heard any opinions on it?

Look at the bottom of the page (at the site) at the things its supposed to do..hmmmm seems impressive enough.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040724133528068086037202479508/g=guitar/s=effects/g=guitar/s=effects/search/bigpid/base_id/43610/

And, from past experience w modelers--how do these things compare? This is all coming from someone whod spend the extra few bucks$ and build the real thing..but it makes me think that over time and as technology increases, might there be a time when these can actually sound better and equal to the real things..Then what? We all trash our dated effects? Something i was thinking about.. ////
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bwanasonic

The POD Pro XT retails for about $700, so I'm not sure how you got one for $35...

I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth, as you could sell it on ebay for hundreds more than you paid.

Kerry M

jimbob

At the place (store) I bought it it was listed w/o the box  or manual and had a blem sign on it and a tag for 200.00 reg 399.00..It sat there for the last 2 weeks w no buyers, but I decided to see how low he'd go-i asked assuming and telling him i didnt think i could afford it..but....35.00 was the deal and said he had a power supply which he brought from the back--Power supply turned out to be bad--o well..i can deal w that..ill call him tomorrow and see if he has another..The guy i get it from is AWSOME! I ussually buy most his send back and broken stuff..take home and fix..the last was a Deluxe Mem Man--no power supply--25.00 otherwise mint/ but broken..As per Puretube-- it turned out to be a bad slider switch..Good as new now..I ussually go to his store every weekend (spend a few $$) and 1st ask if he's going to be able to make any deals= it depends on how much $$  the place made that day/week and we go from there...I used to say one day Id try to afford the EH tube series effects cause there 200.00 a pop. Since i been going there making the right aquaintences, i own many that i bought with and without the tubes and bought them somewhere else..Sometimes i even got those effects new for that price..without the box and papers of and w/o the power supplies of course..

So I consider myself a very lucky guy..Finally knowing the right person and being fair paid off..I often tell the guy "You sure, man? " Making sure im not taking advantage of his generosity..He said Im not and thanked me for talking his asking prices..I never try to bargain him down..What he says goes...and hes always more than fair! Since i been going there in the last year i probably own more than a few grand in effects= easy..But more than anything i enjoy the ones i make as well..Its really become more of a collection/obession w these things...while wondering when this "good thing" is going to end..All things come to an end..Until then, I play the game till its over...or, until i have 2 of everything out there.. :wink:
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

travissk

I'm not sure where around here you're shopping, but I've seen some of the posts - congratulations :). My guess is that it's certainly not the Musician's Friend returns outlet.

As for digital amp modelers - a lot of signed artists use the Pod as their amp setups, and even more use them in the studios. I have never used an XT, but I've used a Pod2.0 and own a Behringer V-Amp 2; they were more or less pretty similar but I've heard the Pod XT is a league above those.

IMO, you should really give it a chance. I've heard they sound great turned up LOUD through a power amp + speaker cab. I use my V-Amp mostly for practicing and recording to the computer; it's invaluable in a dorm situation where you can't crank a tube amp at any hour of the day without getting yelled at :(

If you don't care for it, you can always unload it on ebay for a good profit, but definitely give it a chance first.

jimbob

I took a closer look--its actually a 2.0 but its not the red color like the others--its the darker burgandy like the xt pro...o well :lol:

anyone know anything about that?

jimbob

black mariah

Digital modelers will never sound the exact same as real tubes with real current going through them. But who cares? The newer ones sound good (I saw a guy using a Line 6 HD147 last night that smoked the JCM900 his co-guitarist was using.), and even the older ones have their good points. I wouldn't use one to replace a vintage Bassman, but who would? They're good for what they are, and despite what the manufacturers try to do, it's not fair to compare them to tube amps.

Then again, I'm about as far from 'purist' as you can get. :wink:

jimbob

Quote from: jimbob[url]I'm not sure where around here you're shopping, but I've seen some of the posts - congratulations . My guess is that it's certainly not the Musician's Friend returns outlet.

Is that a good place to get deals?

william

The Pod 2.0 will be selling at guitar center new for about 200 dollars during august.  35 dollars for a pod 2.0 is a steal.  As for my opinion on it, its sound is ok.  It represents the first real generation of amp modelers and was the king of its time.  Now that its a few years long in the tooth, its short commings are more evident.  Its hard to program, some patches can be very mid heavy, and it is no longer updated.  But its build solid, there are plenty of good tones in it, and is easy to program using a computer.

The PodXT will be 299.99 at guitar center in august.  It does have a retail cost of 700, and GC buys them for about 305 so they will lose money on it.  Sound wise, its a huge improvment over the Pod.  The modeled amps sound good, the cabs are good, and the modeled stompboxes make it extreamly versitile.   With the new PodXT 2.0 upgrade released last week it added an additional four amps, and tweaked all the cabs and many of the original modeled amps.  It includes a USB port for recording directly to a computer or to program it from the computer.  Its memory is flashable so you don't have to buy a eprom like you had to with the original Pod.  And new for the XT are a post EP, and amp packs.  For $50 dollars a pop you can increase the number of amps the PodXT has in it.  The packs are a metal pack that includes the likes of Bogner, a 5150, triple rectifier, deizel, and a couple others.  Then the Vintage pack has vintage Marshalls and Fenders.  Finally a stompbox pack offers many new (you guessed it) stomp boxes such as a mt-2 and guitar synth types.  Now is the time to get a PodXT if you've though about it. If you play it at guitar center though, remember the flash upgrades vastly improve the sound, and are free to download.

As a disclaimer I don't work for Line6 but I had a Pod and now have a PodXT.

jimbob

William--question..i didnt get the software with it..where would i get that? Is it downloadable or do i even need it?

ildar

Quote from: travisskI've heard they sound great turned up LOUD through a power amp + speaker cab.
Actually, in my experience, the louder you get and the better the power amp, the worse the digital modellers sound. The power amps, especially at higher volumes, reveals their dryness and lack of punch. I've had a J-Station thorugh a Peavey tube power amp, and a Pod2 and Digitech Genesis 3 through a Mesa/Boogie tube power amp. At rehearsal levels they were ok, but at performance levels...yuck.

tcobretti

My flextone II sounds incredible cranked.  My friend has a JCM900 that I smoked tone wise last week when we jammed.  I was tuned to Vox AC30 (normal channel), and my amp was so much warmer I couldn't believe the difference.  The more metallic JCM900 sounded harsh and brittle.

I had a newer 50 watt marshall plexi that sounded very much like the plexi sound in my flextone, but not as good.  I sold the plexi.

Dude, you got a killer deal on the pod.

backintheussa

Quote from: ildar
Actually, in my experience, the louder you get and the better the power amp, the worse the digital modellers sound. The power amps, especially at higher volumes, reveals their dryness and lack of punch. I've had a J-Station thorugh a Peavey tube power amp, and a Pod2 and Digitech Genesis 3 through a Mesa/Boogie tube power amp. At rehearsal levels they were ok, but at performance levels...yuck.

I would have to agree with this somewhat. I use a J-station through a Tubeworks power amp. I realized at our last show that while my guitar was loud, I couldn't hear it. I have changed what amp settings I'm using and it sounds a lot better. I was using the JCM800 setting and have changed to the Marshall Master Volume model. It doesnt sound like my cabinet is covered with a blanket and facing a wall. I do love the AC30 setting on it when its loud. The sound of that setting doesn't really do that much for me until its loud. It probably has a great deal with what model you are using.

I also was thinking about buying a pre and post J-station EQ to solve this, but have put my hope in some of the ROG emulations instead. I think I'll end up with 3 in a stompbox with some sort of switching and fetzer valve before it. I don't feel comfortable with recording through the J-station>poweramp>4x12 either. I don't like it direct either, seems like something is missing.

ildar

Another observation here is that guitar players often confuse "loud" with "good tone".  :lol:
The modellers really lack detail and responsiveness. They do well when you need a one dimensional sound, but try getting touch-responsive "in betweeny" crunch sounds with one. They don't exist. It's all or nothing.

Quote from: tcobretti

when we jammed
All due respect, I'm sure you were pleased with your sound, but in a performance situation, with a full band-drums miked, bass amp, 3 or 4 vocalists-you will have no body to your sound.

black mariah

Quote from: ildar
All due respect, I'm sure you were pleased with your sound, but in a performance situation, with a full band-drums miked, bass amp, 3 or 4 vocalists-you will have no body to your sound.

Tell that to Jeff Loomis. :lol:

travissk

I should have mentioned that I never have turned a modeler up loud; I use mine only at practice levels and actually haven't even plugged into a power amp for a low-level jam.

Jimbob - Regarding the Musician's Friend outlet, it's not a great place to go (IMO).

I got a Fender Stratacoustic for $100 or so a couple years ago; it had a small crack from the soundhole up to the top, but it wasn't all the way through the body, and thus far it's been ok. It's always hit-and-miss when I've been there. Sometimes you can get good prices, but often times the stuff is horribly mispriced. i.e.: "the circuit board to this is broken in half. Take 10% off our normal price!" Effects there are pretty scarce; they have an area in back where they try to repair stuff, but there are more actual instruments and amps. The place is huge, however, so you will find some stuff to at least look at.

You might have more luck if you know someone there, or can tell when they restock. It is the place where all their damaged returns go (relative geographical center of USA), and a lot of this stuff is more damaged than you would think. IMO used equipment is cheaper (and actually works!), unless you catch them at the right time.

I forgot that I also got a Rogue PA system for $15 there (retails $200). It's a 1x12, 4-channel, on casters with a handle, and after replacing a fuse and a couple wires, it powers up once in a while. It's still unreliable, but if I ever take it apart the parts have to be worth more than $15. That was probably the best deal I got there, but it's not a wonderful piece of equipment. I would say that I get something there every 3 or 4 times I go. I live about 45 minutes away and I'm sure that the gas money for the drive wipes out much of the advantage I'd have to buying used, when you consider I usually buy nothing.

In any case, they have some cheap staples: those tone-sucking yellow-ended 20' cables for $5, mediocre fender strings for $3, etc. If you're ever in the area (warehouse district), you could stop in and take a survey of what they have, but personally I wouldn't make a long trip of it. I don't think I'll be going this summer.

I do have to find a music store around here though; there's a guitar store at 95th and Quivira and there is Quigly's at 70th (?) or so just on the Missouri side; I think Mars put a few of the good places out of business before they folded as well :(.

DaveTV

I'm not ashamed to say that the POD has been an essential part of my effects building, since it has allowed me to test circuits using headphones late at night, which is usually when I do most of my work. I build pedals and record music in a small apartment and I owe much of my productivity to the POD. Does it compare to the real thing? Almost, but nothing beats playing through an actual amp. And it sure beats not being able to play at all.

It's also been an essential  tool for direct recording into my PC, especially when I have a wife and neighbors to think about. I almost wonder if the guy downstairs even knows that I'm playing when I do.

I owned an original POD 2.0 and sold it for a POD XT when it came out. Both sound pretty good. The POD XT has more bells and whistles, but I found the POD 2.0 to be very useful as well. I was even able to get an upgrade chip for the 2.0 for free from Line6 just by e-mailing them, but I don't know if they do that anymore (upgrade was to version 2.3, if I remember correctly).

I'll also say that I've even found some pedals to work well with the POD. For some reason, I can get some pretty cool tones using my DIY Rangemaster in front of the POD, which I know doesn't make much sense, but there you have it.

jimbob