Connecting a rotary encoder

Started by DaveTV, July 25, 2004, 04:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveTV

I'm having trouble connecting a 4-bit gray code rotary encoder for a digital circuit I'm trying to put together. The encoder has 5 pins, 4 of which are for the binary code, and one connects to ground. I thought it would be pretty straightforward, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out which pin is which.

The Tone God

Have you checked out the all knowing datasheet from the manufacture for it ? ;)

Andrew

DaveTV

Yes, it's actually the datasheet that has me the most confused.

The encoder I have is the one shown on the bottom right. If I'm reading the output chart correctly, pin order is 1, 3, 2, ground, 4. But I'm still not totally sure if the gray code output is in numeric order this way (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...etc.)

I'm trying to use this encoder to switch reverb programs on the Alesis reverb chip (hall reverb 1, hall reverb, 2...). According to the reverb chip's data sheet, the programs should be arranged in gray code order. I can get the programs to change, just not in the order shown on the data sheet.

I've also tried connecting the pins different ways, but it seems that some of the programs might be getting skipped when I do this, so the arrangement isn't arbitrary.

travissk

132G4 seems realistic from that image, but who knows.... sort of a helpless datasheet :)

that same jpeg is in the following pdf, but this document has no other valuable info: http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/31CL510.pdf

You could always hook a meter up to it and experiment. Hopefully someone here will have dealt with these things.

The Tone God

That datasheet is pretty useless. They give you the physical specs but not the schematic. My guess is that pins are labeled in order on the encoder with the output of the pins shown on the chart.

Try to use a scope or maybe some LEDs to figure out the pinouts.

Andrew