OT: phpMyAdmin Setup

Started by phillip, July 25, 2004, 03:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

I downloaded the Apache/PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin package from e_novative and installed it, but I'm having some problems with the phpMyAdmin setup.  

I logged in using the user name and password that e_novative configured, but when I try to add my own username and password (in the "user" table in mysql database running on localhost), it won't allow me to log in using the new name and password, even after setting full permissions ot the username.

Does phpMyAdmin suck or am I really missing something?

Phillip

travissk

I'm at home for the summer without my personal computer, so I don't have an installation of myPhpAdmin to verify this through, but here's my best guess:

How are you adding a user? If you're simply adding a row to the user table, then the password might not be recognized. I *think* the passwords are MD5 hashed, and you have to use the special "add user" form (wherever it is) to add a db user.

Alternatively, instead of adding a username/password to the database, you can add the MD5 hash of that password. You can generate one for your password here:
http://bfl.rctek.com/tools/?tool=hasher

For instance, if your password was "admin" (bad idea ;)), you type that in here and instead of adding "admin" to that record, you add its hash, 21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3

This is all dependent on whether phpmyadmin uses password hashes, but again, it's my best guess right now. Good luck!

phillip

Yep, it uses some strange hash for the password, but it only displays it as hash in the "users" table in the mysql database.

The preconfigured username AND password are e_novative...all I have to do is copy and paste that into the username and password blanks, hit enter and bam...logs right in.

What I was trying to do was use my name as a username and another word as a password, and when trying to add the new user to the "users" table through the built-in utilities (with full privilages), it accepts them, converts my password to hash, but it won't let me log in by typing them.  I tried typing the password as plain text and as hash but it kept bouncing it.

I've tried to read through the user documents of phpmyadmin, but I don't think it was written with beginners in mind ;)

Phillip

Crackpot

Try restarting MySQL after you add the user.

phillip

Got it!  Apparently there are (at least) 2 ways to add a new user...the way I was doing it just doesn't agree with the setup, but right after you log in, there's a "Permissions" link on the home page that also allows you to add more users and configure their permissions.  After adding the new username and password through that method (which is basically the same as the first method I tried...) it worked like a charm.

If it was a snake...

Phillip