Boss DS-1 indicator LED won't light up...

Started by drew foppe, July 25, 2004, 07:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drew foppe

Hey guys.
Well, I just finished the "seeing eye" mod on my DS-1 and everything was working just fine (sounded good too! ha)!!! All of a sudden I plugged the pedal in today and there is no indicator LED. It just won't light up. The polarity is correct because I just played with it yesterday. HMMMMMM.... The funny thing is, the pedal works just fine. I get sound and the "seeing eye" LED works...I just can't tell when the pedal is turned on.

I am really confused and don't really know much about electronics as I am a complete beginner at the whole mod thing.  :oops:

I desoldered the indicator LED and put it in a new pedal...it works just fine! I thought someone on this forum could possibly help me out. I like the sound of the pedal, I just want to be able to tell if it is on or not!  :D

Thank you all in advance!

Drew
www.leosinvention.com
www.jagermusic.com

Hal

check continuity between the current limiting resistor and the LED.

check voltage across current limiting resistr, and voltage from before resistor to ground

check continuity from (-) on the led to ground.

etc.

you'll _probably_ find hte problem.

drew foppe

Quote from: Halcheck continuity between the current limiting resistor and the LED.

check voltage across current limiting resistr, and voltage from before resistor to ground

check continuity from (-) on the led to ground.

etc.

you'll _probably_ find hte problem.

To be honest with you...I don't even know how to do that. I just replaced the parts listed on Keeley's site and other than that, I don't know how to do or check what you described. This is my first pedal mod and I don't wanna sound stupid, but I don't know how to do what you described.

If I take a voltage meter and touch D2 and R35 the LED DOES lights up. I thought I could jumper those two locations with a wire. I did it and the LED finally lit up...the only problem is that the LED stays on when the effect is off. It is much more dim than when the effect is on, but regardless it still stays on.  :?:
www.leosinvention.com
www.jagermusic.com

Hal

hmmmm try putting a resistor across that instead of a jumper.  I think thats what the second resistor in the milenium 1 bypass is for.   _might_ work.