Position of clipping diodes, Big Muff Pi Vs Electra?

Started by octafish, July 26, 2004, 12:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octafish

Not having the best ears, or electrical knowledge, I was wondering what these different arrangments have on clipping, tone, or volume?

I was going to build a Mig Muff Pi variant  using a Fetzler Valve as the first stage and then two Electra Distortions with the second stage diodes swichable in/out. I then thought I should maybe have variable gain by adding a pot to the emitter and possibly a cap a la the Fuzz Face fuzz knob. I thought I should remind myself of the resistor values for the different Electra schems. While seaching I found an alternative schem of the Electra Distortion with diodes after the output cap and from collector to base, further searching found yet another alternative with only the Big Muff Pi style diode placement (Collector to emitter with cap).

What are the benefits of the different connections, it will be a few weeks before I am able to build anything and I would like a firm idea of what I should hear with the different clipping stages. Thanks in advance.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

octafish

anyone? anyone? Beuller?
Dang I thought someone would know this. Or at least have an opinion about it :lol:
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

jrc4558

Massa Octafish! Search for GM Arts website and indulge into a load of information about different diode clipping!

octafish

thanks for the link, soft and hard clipping depending on diode types, feedback loop always soft, goodbye germ diodes :P