Dallas Rangemaster Fuzz?

Started by vseriesamps, July 26, 2004, 03:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vseriesamps

Hey all

I built the Dallas Rangemaster circuit from R.G. Keen's site, it's really great. What I was wondering is does anybody know how to adjust the circuit to drive the transistor harder, so that the pedal becomes more of a  fuzz unit? I love the clipping it induces, I'd love to have more of it.

Thanks - Aron your site is without peer (with the possible exception of Geofex)

K
uh oh

petemoore

Higher output pickup...
 ANother booster in front of it, oh, that wouldn't be a Rangemaster would it...
 I seriesed three of these Ge's, and got a halendous Fuzz, like a Fuzz Face, but more 'direct' ... compressed or something, didn't clean up at the guitar vol though.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

saros141

Well, if you use a larger input cap, this will goose the device harder... but then you lose the treble-peaking effect.  I bet if you used say a .1 input cap and a .001 output cap, it would be both distorted and trebly.  Might not be as sweet and expressive as the stock values though.  I'll give it a go in my testbed when I get a chance.

bwanasonic

If you bias the collector lower than 7v it can get fuzzier, and as mentioned, a larger input cap will kick in the clipping at lower frequencies. This is a switchable option on a number of commercial RM types. IMO, the real beauty of this effect (in it's *stock* form) is what it does to a cranked tube amp.

Kerry M