My first build using artwork

Started by lenwood, July 26, 2004, 05:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenwood

This a rangemaster workalike that has selectable input caps and a high rolloff tone control. It's my first try using the page size clear inkjet labels.

Thanks to R.G. Keen's excellent article on the Rangemaster.  Thanks also to many others, RDV, Joe Gagan, Mark Hammer, Philip Bryant, The Runoff Groove Guys, Marcos-Munky, Will, Brian, Ansil, Peter Snowberg, puretube, Brett Robinson, Paul Marossy, AMZ and many others here I may have not mentioned but provided inspiration to build it yourself.
Lennie

Paul Marossy

Nice job! I'm glad that I could be some kind of inspiration to you.  8)

Mark F

Looks Good! I've got a couple questions regarding the decal sheets. Was there any problems removing the large one (T-Rex) from the sheet onto the enclosure & did you use the "softener"? I bought a couple of those sheets from Steve @ Smallbear and I'm sort of hesitant to use them as I remember what a problem decals were on model cars when I was a kid. Good Job.

Sic

HAHA! that looks awesome!

What made you go with the dinosaur??

Nice job man!

lenwood

What I used was the full page sheet clear Avery inkjet labels.(not the water slideoff kind)
You can get these at Office Depot, etc.. The number is Avery 8665.
I did get a couple of smudges putting it on so if you try wait a long time before cutting and then applying to the box so the ink will dry hard. Then apply label then coat it lightly with clear coat, I use enamel.

QuoteWhat made you go with the dinosaur??
I went with the dinosaur because it is such an old style "dinosaur"of guitar boosters.
QuoteNice job! I'm glad that I could be some kind of inspiration to you.
Paul, I went to your website and said, "Man if he built this many learning along the way I can build a few too"

thanks for all the comments, still have to finish testing and boxing it up. I just tried doing the box labelling etc first.
Lennie

Paul Marossy

Paul, I went to your website and said, "Man if he built this many learning along the way I can build a few too"

Cool. I'm glad that encouraged you.  8)

gez

Quote from: lenwoodWhat I used was the full page sheet clear Avery inkjet labels.(not the water slideoff kind)

I can't see any on your photo but, when using these, do you get little airbubles or patches where there are pockets of air?

I'm messing around with various labels at the moment but have yet to try these.  Tests I did with 'window stickers' were poor (patches of air pockets).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

lenwood

QuoteI can't see any on your photo but, when using these, do you get little airbubles or patches where there are pockets of air?

I very carefully (using a credit card or small thickness stiff cardboard) press the label on starting fron the top and holding the other end of the label.  Pressing with the card slowly working down so that the label goes on evenly, this prevents the bubbles.

If you can get the instructions for applying a plastic screen cover to a PDA like a PALM handheld, that is the method I am using.
Lennie

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Gary

Nice work, Lenwood!

Here's another tip to eliminate air bubbles from adhesive backed decals:

Spray the back of the decal (directly on the exposed adhesive) with Windex or a similar window cleaner.  The cleaner will squeeze out when you rub it on with the card.  TEST a sample first, but the plastic-type decal sheets work well this way.  The cleaner keeps air from being trapped.  If you work carefully, you can peel off the decal and reposition if needed.

This is the method used by many pros in applying decals to autos.