OT: Heavy amp present to myself

Started by brett, July 27, 2004, 03:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Hi.  I'm considering buying myself a present: a new amp/speakers.  I have a 1970s all-tube MusicMan which is kinda like a Fender Twin, but I'm thinking of a Marshall head and quad box.  

I don't really know where to start... JCM800/900/1000??  Were those "Plexis" (??) that Jimi H used much good, and what would it cost me to get hold of one these days?  It's a Jimi H sound that I'm kinda aiming for, though obviously lots of other boys and girls have had fun with Marshall stacks.  I can probably afford a five gorillas (US$3.5), but not 10 (US$7).
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Jim Jones

Hey Brett,

If you're after Jimi tones the Marshall Super Bass is where it's at.  Plexi ones are expensive, the later metalface ones are getting kinda crazy, too.  In all honesty the Superbass is only a cap or two different than than the Superlead so you're good there, too.

I'd avoid the 800, 900, blah blah series if you're going after a sixties vibe - they just don't have it.  If budget's a problem - build one!  There are schematics everywhere and they aren't very complicated.  

Some good schematics at www.drtube.com and www.schematicheaven.com  The 1959 model is the Superlead, the 1992 is the Superbass.

Hope this helps some!

Jim

Arno van der Heijden

Or build yourself a nice 18 watter  :D :

www.18watt.com

petemoore

For live outdoor use, a 100w plexi is the bees knees.
 I like the 50 watter...100 is simply rediculous and generally doesn't get all the cool stuff going at reasonable levels.
 These are quintisential 'racing amps'...look good, sound great, for around town though, a 50 is much easier to control and handle, and makes quad cab light up loud N/P.
 I like the stripped down amps like this, just enough tubes and knobs to rock, otherwise without doodads and minimalized accessorizition...powerful, and relatively simple.
 I prefer the crunch of EL34's [in the MkII], and the wide blossom sound of 6L6's, a JTM45 looks just like the 50w master lead, [the 45's 'evil twin brother'] except the little MkII logo on the front, look the same but are Very different sounding amps.
 JCM's are what are referred to as 'Modern Amps' ...quite a departure from the early sounds and designs.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AL

Mid 70's/early 80's JMP Marshall's are still affordable in comparison to the earlier JMP's and the JCM 800's. I've seen JCM800's go for anywhere between $800 to $$$alot$$$  :shock: - the JMP's I've seen run from $500 to $800. If you're patient and search around you should be able to get a decent price on one. If price is an issue I would try for one of these.

AL

Danny G

I got an '81 JCM800 2203 for $599 second hand.  Those are still affordable.  The new re-issues are not so affordable...

Paul Marossy

I'll second on building your own amp. You could build a 50 watt clone for a whole lot less than the real thing will cost.

jazzyfingers04

If I may put in my $.02,  The man played late 60's marshalls. Now if you could find a marshall knockoff from the early 70's you'll probably get what you want. I find that my Traynor MKIII gets the jimi sound pretty closely (the low gain stuff where it was only the amp). The key, imo will be to get the stereotypical marshall power tubes (kt66, el34) and some brittish speakers (celestions, mojotones, etc.) I think that the old Traynors are a steal for this, especially with some decent speakers in them. Now high gain tones are back to your pedals, but I think this puts me in the ballpark.

Jim Jones

Just a note on 50 watts vs. 100 watts.

There is a BIG difference in tone between the two - it's not just a matter of volume.  In fact a 100-watter isn't much louder than a 50, but the tone is wayyyyy thicker, not to mention the additional headroom.  Not that Marshalls are known for gobs of clean headroom anyway.

I think the clean tone from a 100 watt is freakin' phenomenal! :)

Jim

petemoore

Agreed...100w for Big Clean is Huge.
 Won't distort or break up anything like a 50 through 1 quad cab...
 For a time I had A JTM45 AND a MkII 50w, very different, for that 'certain' clean a 100w or JTM is the ticket, but for stage grind, it's the MkII...ya gotta mod the Ch1 high end tho..imo
Application is everything when building up a setup, I found JTM 'cleaan type' amps very accomodating, the MkII quite picky about what's run into it.
 To my amp notes, these three are good examples of the different basic amp types to study...each does a different set of tricks, 100w cannon will produce Bass Depth Beyond, a 45 will do the warm break up, both these will accomodate most effects very well, the MkII [evil twin of the JTM45] will become the aggressive stage mix penetrator for crunch/grind...If you match the chain with the internal gain, and mod the Ice Pick in the Forehead high end of Ch1.
 The 'fourth' amp to talk about is the one with extra gain stages, like a Dual Rectifier.
 Marshall DSL...I heard these 8) ...reminded me of the MkII [go figure] but is too complicated for my tastes. IIUC the design of DSL's is akin to the three aforementioned amps.
 I'm going with the build the amp thing, too. If I had the need/cash, and was not pressed for time, the option to build, and the advantages would make me want to do it, I mean if I had a pile of cash, I'd probly do it anyway...probly a 2w-15w, then a 50w. Building amps tho...whew...alot of this's and that's's to think about.
 I like the 'get the junk piece' for next to or nothing, and rebuild using the irons, sockets, frame etc., but new caps, tubes, cabinet, etc.
  The MkII, and JTM were bought new in 96 for 650, because I like old design new amp.
    :oops: Sold the JTM, but have others that get the great cleans.
 Gettin' the killer setups can be alot of fun, and a bech a messin' around...love them tube amps and all them pedals tho... :D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

cd

Another cheapo to consider is the old Sovtek MIG heads.  They don't make 'em any more, but you can find them used.  They were inexpensive to begin with, and have no cachet, but they're basically old Marshalls inside.

brett

Thanks heaps to everyone!  Thant's given me an excellent start.
:D  :D  :D
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brett

Hi.
Would this be good?  It's supposed to be a Marshall copy, but they don't say what model.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3738033496
It seems very cheap so far  (US$300)  What would it be worth?  What should I ask the owner?  Thanks for any help!! :D  :D
Brett Robinson

Arno van der Heijden

Ask the owner if it's build on pcb or point-to-point. Point-to-point is much easier to mod than pcb....

BD13UK

Brett I wouldn't discount a JCM 800, don't forget Robin Trower used these extensively and his sound is in some ways comparable to that of Jimi due to the Marshall, Strat etc etc, I also believe that the JCM900 can be picked up even cheaper due to some people not liking there fizzier sound but as I understand it the only difference between the 800 and 900 is that the 900 has clipping diodes which if removed results in an 800 sound.
Brian