My first Build -Rocket fuzz- works good but how to improve ?

Started by rimo, July 27, 2004, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimo

Hi,

First of all I'm new here. (though I have spent some time on the forum).

My first build is finished (after debugging some funny connections). It sounds great already. I have used three BC237B transistors (My dad had them lying around somewhere).

Few questions still to improve to sound a little:

I have used a 10K log pot for volume, changing to 100k should increase to output volume ???

Right now the sound i'm getting at maximum drive has a little to much high for my taste. How can I make it sound a little lower. I probably should replace somme cap's but which one's and for what value's.

As you've probably noticed I know nothing about electronics and getting this Rocket Fuzz working is already a personal victory for me...

By the way Aron, thanks for the (very) rapid sending of the 3PDT switches. They arrived just a few days after ordering

Rimo

RDV

Too high treble? Or too high fuzz? If too high treble, turn down the tone control, if too much  turn down fuzz, turn down the gain control. Also make sure the bias pot is adjusted to taste, and 100k will increase the output.

Welcome & Have Fun!

RDV

rimo

Thanks RDV,

The Fuzz level is OK, using the drive pot I can get it from mild to fuzz to screaming. It's just that the ouput seems to have much more treble than the bypassed signal (at high fuzz) at least for my personal taste, even with the tonepot turned down (i'm using a 10K log pot now but I should change it to a linear pot).  Also maybe i can increase the range of the tone by increasing the value of the capacitor at the tone control as mentioned before ??

I have biased the circuit to 4.5 volts Q3 collector voltage, maybe I should bias it by ear  :wink:   ??

Otherwise the circuit is just fabulous. Very little noise while I have it still in a plastic enclosure. I'll expect even better results when I've put it into a alluminium enclosure.

I'm playing a strat clone that I've modified. At the bridge position I have a hotrails-like double-coil pickup that I've connected to one of the tone pots to get a variable split humbucker. I've noticed that the level of Fuzz is much more using the double-coil setup.

Rimo

petemoore

Check out the simple mods and tips page
 Add a high end rolloff cap near the end of the circuit, or between Q2 collector and base, add a small [5k-10k ?] pot to adjust high end rolloff level...[an adjustable low pass filter].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

I would wait to modify the tone control until you get a 100k for the volume pot as the tone will change a bit also. You can take the .1uF on the tone and put another .1uF in parallel with it to cut more highs, or use a .22uF instead if you have one.

RDV

rimo

Thanks guys,

I think I'll first change the vol pot (and tone pot for lin), then try to bias again. If I think it is still needed I'll then modify the tone control and put in a high end roll of cap. That is, if i can find some time with two young boys (2.5 yrs and 2.5 months old) around  :lol: .

I'll let you know how it works out

Rimo