Quick question, what is the best TS-808 clone

Started by stratking, July 28, 2004, 12:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratking

I was at a small mom 'n pop guitar shop the other day and say an original TS-808 and they were asking $500, so I decided to build a clone like so many of us here have done.  I was just wondering, what would be the best clone of this for a newbie like me to build?  I have seen a few schems. and layouts but I don't know which one gets the tone as close to the original.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

petemoore

get a big piece of perf, and lay the thing out wide, use alot of sockets and trimpots...a 386 for V divider, print the schematics, and try all the mods.
 Theres an "Alexis" here that I can recommend, [in a post about a week ago] there are screamer mods all over the place, as well as grafting from related circuit mods like the SD-1.
 Read at Geo and AMZ, Aron's Simple Mods and Tricks Page...other than that it depends on what you want it to do, and, in the balance of the long run, what your guitar and amp will let it do.            
 Opamp socket, socket the diodes and a few caps, pick a schematic that you think is likely to suit your needs.
 I don't know if it needs input and output buffers, this sounds  huge without them, JRC4558 and double  Si diode clipping/tuned clipping cap.
 ---->l------>l
 l<---l<-----
 Can always change the diodes tho, I like to play 'em for a while when they sound great...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

Oops...the schematic of "Alexis" has output marked as pin 8...
 Pin 8 on a Dual OA is V+ shoudl be connected to 9v+
 Pin 7 should be connected where pin 8 is marked: output.

stratking

Dumb question but oh well.  I have seen a lot of talk about this 386.  What exactly is it and can I get it from Small Bear?  I checked their website just to see if I could get a clue as to what it is bu Steve's still on vacation till the 2nd and the stock page is down.

petemoore

RS or Small Bear, Mouser
 The LM 386 is a very easy to use widget...just apply 9v.
 for an easy V divider...or amp.
 For the easy, accurate V divider:
 pin 4 gnd
 pin 6  V+  [9v]
 pin 5 is Vr or 1/2v or [4.5v]...done...[I use an 8 Pin IC socket, and solder down the unused pins to the pads for structural strength].
 I use a 1/2''+ 'loop' of wire atop the board for Gnd., 1/2v, and V+,... that way I can see and easily tap [solder wires to] power supplies.

cd

Save your time, money, and layout induced headache, there's no need to use a 386 as a voltage divider in an 808 circuit.  The signal is already being clipped like crazy, you don't need a perfect +/-4.5V of voltage swing.