Simplest headphone amplifier ??

Started by Leandro, July 28, 2004, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leandro

My drummer has a metronome with an 1/8" headphone jack but no volume control.  He asked me to make him a sort of headphone amplifier so he can boost the signal and have a volume control.

Setting aside your first answer ("get a good metronome, ya cheapskate!"), what is the simplest circuit I could build for this?  Since it's just a click-click-click, high fidelity is not an issue, just a volume boost.  (As soon as he brings the metronome over, I'm gonna try it with the almighty NPN Booster, but what if I don't get enough headroom?)

Thanks!

casey

i sent you a private message......
Casey Campbell

RDV

I haven't tried it, but it's certainly simple! From GGG.

RDV

Leandro

casey

Casey Campbell

Elektrojänis

LM386 should also work for headphones. A single potentiometer can be used as a volume control in front of it too.

lightningfingers

U N D E F I N E D

jsleep

Yes, I've done a 386 headphone amp, very simple and works great.  Much like the Smokey amp IIRC.  It was actually the very first DIY that I ever did, years ago, from a newsgroup with a text schematic!   :roll:

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Mark Hammer

Both the NE5532 and LM833 dual op-amps are designed to be able to deliver mucho current into low-impedance loads in the range of speakers and headphones.  The NE5532 has a longer history and is more widely available since it is the older device and is second sourced, but the LM833 should be able to be used in an identical manner.

Leandro

Leandro

Quote from: jsleepYes, I've done a 386 headphone amp, very simple and works great.  Much like the Smokey amp IIRC.  It was actually the very first DIY that I ever did, years ago, from a newsgroup with a text schematic!   :roll:

JD Sleep

If you still have that schematic, I'd love to see it.  In any case, I think I'll just try something off the LM386 application notes.

Thanks again, guys!

casey

Quote from: Leandro
Quote from: jsleepYes, I've done a 386 headphone amp, very simple and works great.  Much like the Smokey amp IIRC.  It was actually the very first DIY that I ever did, years ago, from a newsgroup with a text schematic!   :roll:

JD Sleep

If you still have that schematic, I'd love to see it.  In any case, I think I'll just try something off the LM386 application notes.

Thanks again, guys!

you should have got my email that i sent to you, it had a 386 based
headphone amp in the attachment.
Casey Campbell

Leandro

Quote from: caseyyou should have got my email that i sent to you, it had a 386 based headphone amp in the attachment.

Got it, thanks!

Related question...  I got the CMoy headphone amp schem from the HeadWize site that lightningfingers posted about.  It uses two opamps.  If I have a quad opamp chip of which I'll only be using two sections, do I have to do something with the other two unused ones like in logic chips, or can I just leave them unconnected?

David

Leandro:

Don't use Moy's headphone amp.  Look up the build article by Alan Campbell.  That's much better suited to guitar.  I use it all the time as my effects tester.  One 386, that's it.

Mihkel

Leandro

Quote from: DavidLeandro:

Don't use Moy's headphone amp.  Look up the build article by Alan Campbell.  That's much better suited to guitar.  I use it all the time as my effects tester.  One 386, that's it.

I'm not looking for a headphone-suitable guitar amplifier, but rather a line-level headphone amplifier.  I'll look it up anyway, 'cause oddly enough I'm learning quite a bit by reading up on headphone amps.  :)

RDV

I built the Alan Campbell one 2nite. It works quite well. A little muffled for my tastes so I took out that .0047uF in the FB loop that he recommended, now it sounds pretty darn good with a delay and a fuzz into it. I was using my ROG Ruby to play through the phones but that had to much treble.

RDV