Another Brazilian Scam or a real request?

Started by analogmike, July 28, 2004, 11:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analogmike

HI,

I have nothing against Brazilians but seems they have been hitting up pedal makers for free pedals a lot lately (My pedal died, I sent it back, please send another one now as I need it - SCAM).

I got this email recently which is worded almost the same except they dont want a free pedal... anyone else get this?

(start)

I'm contacting you because i'm great AM's user (web) and fan since long time ago and i would like to receive the Analog's Visit Card and some few stuff like Stickers,keychain,etc please.

Could you do it for me please ?

Unfortunately i have not Intnl. Credit Cards ...How can i do to get one AnalogMan Logo's XXL T-Shirt and one cap please ?

Please my addressee:

xxx
BRAZIL

Thank you all so much.

All the best,

(end)

I wish I had a T Shirt to send him but too busy making pedals!

thanks!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

AL

Couldn't he/she just go to a bank and exchange the local currency for the equivelant US dollar amount and send you a money order? I've never been to South America (yet !!) but during my brief travels through Europe money exchange was fairly easy and if all else failed you could always go to the airport and exchange (at a horrible rate).

Could someone from Brazil chime in and give a better idea of the exchange process? Maybe I'm being paranoid but it sounds a little fishy.  

AL

Torchy

Dear Mr Analoogman ,
   I am extreme poor live here in Uk of Engerland with football soccer. Cold, and how much is it living cost here phew. I am lonely to ask you for free t-shirt and I advertise for you on tube trainings every day. Yet better free "King of Tone" pedal so I can advertise you better in beat combo with night clubs every week. I also not creditable card, so shippy free as well. Innit.

RDV

Torchy

Hey no to freeloadings johnny-comes-lately RDV is me first. Anna "King of Tone" peddle as well too remember nicely.

AL

Torchy,

You Sir are wasting your time here - You need to take that show on the road. My sides are hurtin'. You win the funniest post of the week. And for that I think Mike should send you a free t-shirt.   :mrgreen:

AL

audioguy

I intend no disrespect to Mike- but if the Brazilian can afford AM pedals... he can damn sure get the $$$ to pay for a shirt or some stickers!
Its us guys that are too broke/cheap to buy that kinda stuff that need the freebies!

Audioguy

Torchy

Aw hayzoos now a audiogytype join in. Hey, one free tee-shirt is me but you fight an I get King of Tone while you squabbling at other tee-free-shirt. Was my idea sending she-male first to analoogman (nice guy long time). As Newyorky say, "butts-out", is mine yes.  

(with no offence intended or implied to our South American friends  :oops: )

Fret Wire

Dear Mike,
Remeber me? You gave me a tour of the shop. It was nice. When I got home, I noticed that I had lost my autographed Molly Hatchet guitar pick. Then I realized I dropped it in your stock room when we were walking around. You know the room, the one you keep all your germanium transistors in. If you would kindly let me look around in there for it, I would be in your debt forever. I know your busy, so you don't have to be right there when I look. Should only take me 5 mins. Thanks.

ps: If I don't find it, it may have been at Z-Vex' shop.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Hal

Fretwire - make sure you check where the BBD's are!  

and Mike, I dont think this guy was trying to scam you, I think he simply wanted a free tee shirt.  See...

QuoteI'm contacting you because i'm great AM's user (web) and fan since long time ago and i would like to receive the Analog's Visit Card and some few stuff like Stickers,keychain,etc please

that senticne doesn't really make sence.  But it does if you replace the word "few" with the word "free."   I bet its a typo.

Marcos - Munky

Well, maybe he is only a fan. Or maybe he only wants free stuff. I don't know where he lives here in Brazil, but here where I live, there is a tax to do money exchange. I don't know how much, but there's a tax.

Arn C.

I think you are correct Marcos, it sounds as though he just wants to get some free things! Nothing wrong with asking!  If I had the extra tee shirt that he is asking for, I would probably send it to him.  
When I worked for SABIAN CYMBALS in New brunswick Canada, back when it was still Ziljian Cymbals,  I used to ask the different drumers that were promoters for the cymbals for free shirts and drumsticks, etc...
Sometimes I would get something, sometimes I would not.   I do remember getting a signed set of drumsticks from Neil Peart(sp)!

Peace!
Arn C.

Marcos - Munky

Yeah. I ask for picks sometimes when I see a good guitarist playing. Sometimes I get a pick for my little collection, and sometimes not.

Aharon

Just some teen asking for shirts,I would not make much of it.
Aharon
Aharon

Marcus Dahl

US Postal Money Orders can be had pretty much anywhere. They cazn be treated like cash when you recieve them because when you turn them into the back your money is automatically there. Unlike a personal check or checks from some companies.
Marcus Dahl

jsleep

A few months ago I also got a flurry of notes from someone in Brasil who claimed to have bought one of my pedals.  The story was that she had already  mailed it back for repair and could I send her a replacement immediately.   She claimed she just couldn't gig without it!  Something like the the old USA saying (lie)  "The check's in the mail".  I simply said "Yes"  just send me the money for deposit on the pedal and when I receive your broken pedal I'll give you your money back.   The emails persisted, almost like a automated response where I would get 4 or 5 of the exact same email desperate pleas a day.  Finally the emails stopped.  I haven't received the broken pedal yet,  hmmm, very slow mail from Brasil I guess.  Funny, she also asked for free stickers, etc.   It's laughable really.

I also get emails from people who claim to be music store owners in Nigeria, wanting to buy dozens of pedals on a credit card.  This has happened twice from different guys, both times seemed to be a scam in the making, never panned out.  Weird stuff.

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

analogmike

HI,

Thanks for some hilarious replies above!

Quote from: jsleepA few months ago I also got a flurry of notes from someone in Brasil who claimed to have bought one of my pedals.  The story was that she had already  mailed it back for repair and could I send her a replacement immediately.

We all got those, one of the guys from pedalworx fell for it.
This new email has all the same traits except not asking for a
pedal so it's weird.

Quote from: jsleepI also get emails from people who claim to be music store owners in Nigeria, wanting to buy dozens of pedals on a credit card.  This has happened twice from different guys, both times seemed to be a scam in the making, never panned out.  Weird stuff.

JD Sleep

I get those all the time, it's a scam. I wish I could have any email with the word Nigeria automatically deleted.

Have fun and I'd love to send t-shirts to some of you guys who really cracked me up! (When I get around to making them)
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

bwanasonic

Quote from: TorchyDear Mr Analoogman ,
   I am extreme poor live here in Uk of Engerland with football soccer. Cold, and how much is it living cost here phew. I am lonely to ask you for free t-shirt and I advertise for you on tube trainings every day. Yet better free "King of Tone" pedal so I can advertise you better in beat combo with night clubs every week. I also not creditable card, so shippy free as well. Innit.

Brilliant! Do you do the Nigerian email spam style as well?

Kerry M

ErikMiller

I complained to their ISP and managed to get one or two of the Brazilian scammer's accounts yanked.

I really felt I had "arrived" as a pedal builder when I got the scam attempt. :-)