New MXR Van Halen Phase 90

Started by Joe Hart, July 29, 2004, 08:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

I heard that MXR is putting out a new Phase 90 with Eddie Van Halen mods. I have no idea what exactly this means, but it may be interesting to take a look once it's out. Just some info for everyone.
-Joe Hart

cd

IIRC the only difference (aside from the paint job and $50 price premium) is a switch that alternates a resistor for script/block modes.

Fret Wire

That just kills me. Van Halen made the script logo Phase 90 popular. People still couldn't get his sound. During the block logo period, MXR added the infamous "R28" resistor to give a distorted mid boost sound to the pedal. Now, you could get something similar to the VH sound at home with your little practice amp. Problem was, when you use it through a real rig, it's way too exagerated for anything but distortion. Completely unuseable with clean tones, acoustics, keyboards, or vocals.

Now that the craze is subsided, Maybe Dunlop will return the pedal to it's more useful state. Basically MXR, and later Dunlop sacrificed the pedals great quality's to cash in on VH's popularity.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

tilt

Quote from: Fret WireThat just kills me. Van Halen made the script logo Phase 90 popular. People still couldn't get his sound. During the block logo period, MXR added the infamous "R28" resistor to give a distorted mid boost sound to the pedal. Now, you could get something similar to the VH sound at home with your little practice amp. Problem was, when you use it through a real rig, it's way too exagerated for anything but distortion. Completely unuseable with clean tones, acoustics, keyboards, or vocals.

Now that the craze is subsided, Maybe Dunlop will return the pedal to it's more useful state. Basically MXR, and later Dunlop sacrificed the pedals great quality's to cash in on VH's popularity.

I have a 1977 Phase 90 with a block logo.  It doesn't seem to be way too exagerated in my opinion, and I have a "real rig".  When exactly did the resistor change occur?
If it sounds good, it is good.[/b][/size][/color]

space_ryerson

I don't think yours if affected by what Fret Wire is referring to. That change in circuitry occurred later on.

Gus

I removed the LFO timing cap and replaced it with a tant of >= X2 the value.  I did this a few years ago for a VH fan.  

Set the LFO as slow as you can to my ears it sounded more of a treble boost than phaser with a very slow LFO.

StephenGiles

I don't want to sound like a spoilsport, but I always found this phaser to be rather feeble for the rather inflated price one had to pay in the UK. Give me a Badstone any day!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Eddie

@tilt:

It is simple!Have a look at the pcb (traces side not parts side!).I you see a resistor there you know that`s the feedback resistor.
I have a phase 90 from 78 (pot code) and I have that resistor.

Eddie[/quote]

Fret Wire

Quote from: tilt
I have a 1977 Phase 90 with a block logo.  It doesn't seem to be way too exagerated in my opinion, and I have a "real rig".  When exactly did the resistor change occur?

77' didn't have the change yet. Eddie's P-90 has 78 pot codes, which means it was probably made in 79'.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Eddie

Sorry!
I have a 77 pot code.Maybe a model from 1978.

Eddie