Rm treble booster?

Started by jimbob, July 30, 2004, 02:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I was there not too long ago when I didnt know the diff between a transistor or a resistor. After a while it all starts to make more sense. At least enough sense to build most of these damn things. I cant say i understand it all, but i can build them.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Doug_H

petemoore

What type of sockets...
 If you're using the 'floppy' type [with ribbon like socket lugs and pins] I use for in a row for components I know I'm going to want to swap alot, also you don't have to bend the cap leads so much...they will stay in better with nice short straight legs.
 Round lug/pin sockets being rigid like they are can support components pretty good with just two lugs in a row.
 I like using skinny wires I get from VCR's, I can just trim out an end, stick it in the bottom of the board with a socket pin, [or 'pry' the wire between the pins by pivoting the wire where it contacts both pins] wrap it slightly and shape it around the adjacent pin, solder, then thread the wire with insulation through a perf hole.
 Shaping the wire and holding it in the right place while soldering is the 'technique' part...
 Consider making 2...one test bed, then take the values you've found, and perf a second. more 'permanent' circuit, without all the sockets and trims used for testing the transistors, resistors and caps.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lenwood

QuoteWhat type of sockets...
I am using the snap off SIP machine pin type. You can just snap how many you want ; three for a transistor, etc.  I think these are the type you are talking about.
QuoteConsider making 2...one test bed, then take the values you've found, and perf a second. more 'permanent' circuit, without all the sockets and trims used for testing the transistors, resistors and caps.
That was what I was thinking about doing also so I could test it out first then make a circuit board (perf) using the values that worked.

Like this schematic ( from Schematics) but with the sockets at the connection points:

Thanks for the confimation. :D  I was wondering if that would work out well doing it that way.
Lennie

black mariah

Quote from: Doug_H
I wanted to clarify that I didn't mean that comment in a snotty way... Just trying to get my meaning across concisely and with a little humor.

I don't think anyone really took it that way, and if they did they should be punched in the face. :lol:

petemoore

If you've already built it disregard the following
 I'd do at least the three 'upright' fixed resistors in sockets, also the transistor and the input cap.
 The 470k could be a 500k pot, the 68k could be for easier bias tweaking exploration, either way you'll be able to control bias with a 'good transistor.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.