Small Stone LFO's P2P Current?

Started by ExpAnonColin, July 30, 2004, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael_krell

What exactly should I be looking for in the dry and wet signals? (as far as amplitude and phase and any kind of "dancing")

also. if i increased the value of that drop down resistor. will i get a higer output? these issues of the small stone seem to have a volume issue.

puretube

gez

Too slow PT, I snagged that little gem a few days ago when it was first posted!  :D

I've adapted the standard OTA triangle oscillator to do the hyper-triangle thing and am trying to get some PWM happening without affecting frequency.  Stage one has gone well, fingers crossed for stage two...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

... I used in my 13700 mod of that one...

whatcher gonna PWM?
an MXR-clone?
(nosy me...  :oops: )

gez

If I can get it to work, I'll rig the LFO up to an OTA filter.  If you set the mark space ratio as 2:1 or 1:2 and use the triangle output to sweep the filter, it creates a swing feel which sounds excellent with auto wahs - automatic psychedelic boogie!  8)  One ratio provides the accent on the down beat, the other on the off-beat (ska-shuffle).  

It's really easy to do with the standard op-amp triangle circuit (without altering frequency/amplitude etc), but this one is driving me nuts.  All character building stuff I suppose!  

I'm not even supposed to be working on all this (what happened to my phaser circuit?!), but I'm easily distracted... :oops:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

( I`m not even supposed to be spending that much time here... :oops: )

(but I can`t go into detail here, sorry  :cry: )

*my original "WORM" prototype had that feature, too... - too many knobs..

gez

Quote from: puretubetell you what: there`s another way to do it:
instead of the OTA-filter with its linear Gm controlled response,
it can be done with filters, that react logarithmically
to a control-voltage, instead of linearly

That's a nice idea, I have some simple schematics for circuits that convert a linear control voltage into a log output.

The thing is though, as you're aware, a lot of triangle oscillators (though fine in the audio range), have a non-linear quality to them at the frequencies used in most (effects based) LFOs and start to resemble the waveform you get if you tap the junction of the resistor & cap which set the rate in a simple relaxation oscillator.  The thing about the OTA hyper-generator thing that really impresses me is its symmetry and low distortion - up sweep same as down.  This is why I'd like to persevere with it.

I appreciate that in practice such minor distortions often aren't even audible...but sometimes they are.  I'll keep messing about with this and see if it makes a difference (I've already done this in the past using other methods so I can make an A/B comparison).  Even if it isn't worth the effort, I haven't lost anything as the LFO I have is a slight improvement on the Ross one (more linear feel to the rate pot) so I can always use it in a phaser.  :)

puretube

gez

Damn, another bloody circuit to try out, I need more breadboards!!!  :)

puretube

got 6 overpopulated ones laying around in the way,
and just built a 2nd circuit on the 7th board...  :roll:

Jason Stout

Quote..........on the 7th board...
I only have 2½ boards and they are occupied.  :(
Jason Stout