Vulcan build report

Started by audioguy, July 30, 2004, 05:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

The saga continues... more happily now...
I pulled the 100uf cap along the power supply in hopes to get back some of the gain I lost while puting it on. So to kill the noise I started to add on 10uf caps, one at a time to see how many I would need and how much gain I would lose. I only needed 3 10uf caps to kill the squeel ringing a nice G (3rd fret 6th string a PERFECT match) note.
The gain loss was not too bad at all, almost undetectable, but a huge difference from what I lost with the 100uf.
So then I remembered that you said if I raised the 220k resistors to 470k that would probably kill the squeel and lower my gain as well...  so I did the exact opposite and lowered the value of the 1st one (R7 in Gringos layout)  to 100k leaving the 2nd (R12) at 220k.      
Now the gain sounds great.. I couldnt be much happier... now on to the mod'ing!

I want to add the much talked about notch filter, but being new I'm having a hard time understanding the schem and how it interacts with the existing board. I have a pretty good idea, but if anyone has a lay out image that would be MOST helpfull!

Thank you all SO SO SO much for your help!

Audioguy

Michael Allen

Throw the notch filter in the signal path, just like with a tone control. I put mine in after the second stage and before the third, so that the final stage makes up some of the gain lost. works well

petemoore

Just a few part notch build? So we're talking about the same thing.
 I use a notch on a few pedals, does a top notch job!!
 Input comes in the top left of the scheamtic, and output goes out the right side there.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WGTP

Between the last output cap and the volume pot, put a .01uf cap

On each side of the .01uf cap put a 10k or 22k resister

Connect the other ends of the resistors to a .047uf cap

Connect the other end of the cap to ground

Let it Rip

Notice how a notch seems to add compression

Notice the balance between the highs and lows

Vary the resistor combination 10/10 10/22 22/10 22/22
Each will sound different with more or less notch at higher or lower freqencies

Vary the caps, double or half the values

Let it Rip some more until you find your favorite, mine depends on my mood, and gets changed on the breadboard every 5 minutes while I'm playing.  May need to add switches for cap values or pots for resistor values when installed in a box.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Joe Davisson

I'm still curious about the oscillation, are you using a battery or power supply?

-Joe

audioguy

Thanks fo rthe Notch help guys- I'll add it tonight... sounds like a snap.

As for the oscilation- Joe- Im just using a battery.  I have enough cable pasta all over my floors... the last thing my room can handle would be a bunch of pedal power cables...

Hmmm Pedal Power... sounds like a cool new battle cry... When frustrated builders get stuck in a quandry... our pedal gurus jump on to the board yelling... PEDAL POWER... and offer up 134 different ways to fix our problem.

Audioguy