Can you still get 2SK30s?...

Started by Gilles C, July 30, 2004, 11:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

I already have some J113s that I got from Vishay for my next project, but I wanted to compare them to the 2SK30 that is used in many Boss pedals.

I went today to my usual store where I buy parts once in a while.

When I asked if he had any 2SK30 stock in store, he checked and told me they didn't have any. The last ones they had dated from 1994 :roll: ...

I always wondered why Boss was always changing the part numbers of the semiconductors they used in their effects. Now I think I know why. They just can't get the same parts they normally use...

Tim Escobedo

Fairchild makes a JFET going by the designation KSK30. I've wondered if it's equivalent. Mouser sells the KSK30 cheap.

phillip

You can get them from suppliers in Japan...that's where I got some from.  The best ones to get are the 2SK30A-GR.  I think they ran about $0.60 US each.

Phillip

Gilles C

Quote from: phillipYou can get them from suppliers in Japan...that's where I got some from.  The best ones to get are the 2SK30A-GR.  I think they ran about $0.60 US each.

Phillip

I think you're right about the GR

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kazuhee/ets9mod3.htm

At first, I had the ATM in mind. I'll check that.

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: Gilles C

I hope you don't take that site too serious  :?

majormono

You can get 2SK30 here in Germany for 0.32â,¬ from reichelt.de... but that won't help too much in Canada.
If you find no other source and really need them I could play Mr. Niceguy and send them locally.

TheBigMan

http://www.banzaieffects.com/europe/index.html have them in stock as well as the 2SC1815 that is often used in Boss/Ibanez FX for buffers and flip-flops.[/url]

Gilles C

Quote from: Arno van der Heijden
Quote from: Gilles C

I hope you don't take that site too serious  :?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don't worry! It was just the part about the ON resistance that I found interesting enough to do some research about the specs of the different 2SK30??? FETs. Not the magic about getting the SRV sound by modifying a TS-???

-->>Low rank JFET has big resistance and disturb the sound going through<<--

But I do believe that the choice of parts affects the sound of an effect.

I am looking for the best FET to use in an electronic switch. Low ON resistance. High OFF resistance. etc...

I already adopted the J201 for the audio part, and I have some J113s that I want to try for the switching part. But I wanted to do a few tests with 2SK30s.

I know most people are converting to True Bypass... but... FET Switching has its uses.

http://members01.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods/bypass.htm

I should add that True Bypass also has its problems.

Popups are a problem sometimes, and you have to add pulldown resistors... that load the effects.

I also want to control the switching part with a PIC...

On a funny side, somebody once told me that my sound was better one night. All I had between my accoustic guitar and the audio system was a Boss CS-3... in the OFF (bypassed) position. It was just buffering my guitar from a too low input impedence in the console. I never told the truth to the guy.

But that's where I learned about the good side of using buffers.  I since built a Mosfet booster, a MiniBooster, bought a Fishman preamp, etc...

Oh, and I also built a True bypass Switchbox.  :)

Gilles

Kent S.

BOSS started using quite a few SK118s Jfet in their switching as well, I can't 100% swear to it off the top of my head, but all the rest of the component values (where a 2SK30 was used) appear to be the same.
I'd have to double check it, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Gilles C

Quote from: Kent S.BOSS started using quite a few SK118s Jfet in their switching as well, I can't 100% swear to it off the top of my head, but all the rest of the component values (where a 2SK30 was used) appear to be the same.
I'd have to double check it, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

You're right. And 2SK117s too, from a few schematics I just checked. I should make a list of all the ones I saw.

Maybe that's why they switched to a different FET after a while. Availability.

Btw, that could be why some effects seem to affect the sound when bypassed, more than some others.

Once I have a pcb or two ready, I'll try to find the one that performs the better, and that is easily available.

Marcos - Munky

What kind of circuit they are used? I Know they are used in Boss switching system, but they have another use? I still have some that I removed from a dead pedal.

Gilles C

Hey, I just remember that I once bought all the 2SK117s, 2SK118 sand a few others FETs they had in the drawers at the store where I buy my things.

Only 5-6 of each...

And the ones that had the more gain and polarized the best in the FET  Mini-Tubes preamp by Jack Orman were the 2SK117s.
It sounded super perfect.

All the others needed a big change in the Drain resistors to work well.

Super gain with that FET. And I didn't like the 2SK118 at all. A smaller case FET that didn't work well in audio.

They never had any of what I bought after that. I only wanted to use 2SK117s after that...  :lol:

I even butchered the Mini-Tubes Preamp to use the 2SK117s in some other projects.  :cry:

That's where I decided to order a batch of J201s from a mail order. I don't have any more of them now, so I might order some 2SK117s along some J201s this time.

I have to go back to work tonight after a 3 weeks vacation, so I'll check in my PCBs box if what I say is correct. I'm 99.9% correct, if my memory didn't play me any trick.

GTechBlues

Marcos - Munky

Can I use the 2SK30 in the place of J201? I believe I have 5-6 of them here.

Hal

make sure you replace the NP electros with ones of the same value, but larger physical size!!!

Kent S.

Quote from: Gilles CHey, I just remember that I once bought all the 2SK117s, 2SK118 sand a few others FETs they had in the drawers at the store where I buy my things.

Only 5-6 of each...

And the ones that had the more gain and polarized the best in the FET  Mini-Tubes preamp by Jack Orman were the 2SK117s.
It sounded super perfect.

All the others needed a big change in the Drain resistors to work well.

Super gain with that FET. And I didn't like the 2SK118 at all. A smaller case FET that didn't work well in audio.

They never had any of what I bought after that. I only wanted to use 2SK117s after that...  :lol:

I even butchered the Mini-Tubes Preamp to use the 2SK117s in some other projects.  :cry:

That's where I decided to order a batch of J201s from a mail order. I don't have any more of them now, so I might order some 2SK117s along some J201s this time.

I have to go back to work tonight after a 3 weeks vacation, so I'll check in my PCBs box if what I say is correct. I'm 99.9% correct, if my memory didn't play me any trick.

GTechBlues

The SK118 though seems to work very well as a switch though, not sure about it's amp capabilities ... I have my FW-3 Foot Wah drawn out on paper, when I get the time I'll put it into MS Paint ... It sounds very transparent when bypassed. On a different note though, what concerns me is that I havetwo different schematics for the old SG-1 Slow Gear and one shows 2SC945s , and then the 2nd edition shows another bipolar in the same roles (buffer amps) ... I have never seen a 2SC945, not saying it's wrong, just never seen one ... off topis but ... the rumour behind the slow gear and spectrum is that they were not really made for guitar but rhoads keys  odd but with there original 220k input impedance I could kinda see why the spectrum would give a set of keys a much larger tonal range, and the slow gear synth like attacks ... don't know whay I brought this up, but I just find it interesting ... I've also heard that the JC120s were made for keys as well (there distortion sounds much better on organ) than on guitar ... again interesting. Sorry for the off topic jump ... 8)

Mark Hammer

Je peu t'envoyer quelques k30-AY.  Combiens en a tu besoins?

Gilles C

Est-ce que 5 serait trop?

Sinon, je peux faire un mix avec des J113s sur le même circuit au lieu de faire 2 circuits différents.

I began working on the pcb layout yesterday.

I am using Neutrix NY215 pcb stereo jacks and a 1590B box.

Added later tonight... I rechecked my things while working on it tonight, and 2-3 would do it if I try it with a minimum of options. Then I would know what to order.

I also noted that both have different pin-outs. SGD and DSG  :cry:  

See you,

Gilles