dumble tonestack q's... ROG guys?

Started by vdm, July 31, 2004, 01:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdm

hey everyone,

I really want to build an umble, but alas im in my last year of high-school and amongst all the assessments and things, i don't really have enough time, and it doesn't help that we can't get J201's hear in australia.

but from reading the posts on gary and 'b's umble (which sounds amazing in the soundclips) i thought maybe i could just make the tonestack from the amp as it supposedly gives the circuit that unique sound.

im a big EJ fan and it really seems to capture at least a bit of his tone. i'm playing cliffs of dover for my end of year music assessment, and despite it being quite a different tone from that on the recording, i just thought it would work really well.

today i was about to stick one together and put it in place of the tonestack on fender frontman practise amp, but realized i didnt have the write pots.

so finally i arrive at my point - is it worth it to just build a filter circuit using the dumble tonestack 'frozen' at one point. i could just splice this into my supercharged bluesbreaker pedal.

if this is an okay idea please give me any feedback, and if you have any other ideas as to how i could go about it, it's just that i don't really want to be worrying about overseas shipments and the such.

sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading,

trent

cd

I've built a couple of *umble clone amps, and believe me, there is A LOT more to it than just the tone stack.  The tone stack is actually a fairly vanilla Vox type with a variable Mid control.  The inter-stage gain, high end rolloff via plate resistors, post OD tone controls, the trimmers setting the gain in/out of the OD process, etc. are all critical to the overall sound.  I hate to burst your bubble but you won't get anywhere close by simply grafting in the tone stack, and even worse, if you simply graft in set values - the TS is VERY interactive (that is, if you tweak the bass control, the treble is also affected).

If you want to cop some of that tone without spending anything, I would take a line out from your amp into your computer's sound card, then use an editing program like Cool Edit (or some other shareware derivative) to tweak the EQ, compression, and gain settings.  If you have a VST capable sequencer, I would recommend a program like Greenmachine (http://www.greenmachine.pwuq.net/) to play around with amp settings and such.