Determining Speaker Wattage

Started by Michael Allen, August 01, 2004, 04:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Allen

I picked up some pretty big speakers from a thrift store today. All together 2 10's, 2's and 2'3s. It was a pair of speaker boxes with one of each in each box. $5 and they all work. not bad...

But they are unmarked. They're 8ohm, I measured, but is there a way I can find out the wattage? I want to use them for another guitar amp, and I need to know how much they can handle....

Thanks!

petemoore

Wattage...overrated ...lol.
 I just hook them up, and find the 'sweet zone' all speakers have...invariably this is what is enough wattage to 'excersize' the cone, when you get near the top of their handliing capability, you may notice the volume control on the amp becomes less effective [because  your're getting near or at max output of the speaker], and the speaker starts to sound 'mushy'.
 Usually I'll use a 'testlab' condition [so I can hear the speaker clearly], and slowly turn the amp up...you can hear the 'sweet range' begin at a low volume, 'morph' a bit as volume is increased, and then you'll notice a 'padded glass ceiling'...where the volume knob ceases to increase volume and the tone starts to 'mush out...or where the speaker starts to sound like it's getting pushed too hard.
 I can tell 'something' by the weight of the speaker magnet, and the stiffness of the cone.
 I've blown many a 'stereo' speaker, some sounded really great [for a while]...so grain of salt to this post :? .
 Another thing you can do is start at med' volume, play long enough for heat to build up, then increase the vol a small incrament, pplay long enough for heat to build up [or not]...increase vol...
 Basically what I'm trying to say is NO, I dont Know...
 Test for sound, volume level without 'nastiness', and heat buildup.
 I get long life from speakers these days...after you try testing in the above stated manner, and blow a few, you get a good idea of what a speaker can handle...soon as you hit the Fuzz tho things change...
 Rated wattage speakers too can be 'overrated'.
 Work it up carefully and pay attention to the sound and heat...when in a jam situiation, never exceed the ceiling set in your 'labtests'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.