Temporary mute circuit to avoid gain stage popping?

Started by Frost, August 01, 2004, 08:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frost

Hi there,

I've got a guitar amp with a gain stage that can be switched in or out. Problem is, since it uses a series switch, the stage pops when I switch in or out. I'd use a shunt type switch but I'm unhappy with the tone degradation of the isolating resistors, etc.

Can anyone recommend a very temporary mute circuit to mute the output of the amp when the relay for the switching gets engaged? Can I use a 555 CMOS delay for this or a CD4049 as a flip-flop type circuit? Many thanks,

-Heiko

Travis

How about shunting with a power FET?  It should help you lose the clicks/pops and reduce or eliminate signal degradation.

Frost

Hey Travis,

Thanks for the suggestion. I spent all day yesterday banging my head into the wall trying to come up with a complex solution. I was not until I was brushing my teeth getting ready to hit the hay that I thought of what you suggested...using a transistor activated by the momentary switches that trigger the 74C373 to just shunt the signal in the amp to ground. Anyways, thanks again!

-Heiko

Travis

Frost, RG does something similar in his automatic mic muting article.

The photoFETs almost certainly can't handle the voltage you need, but the idea is there.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/automike/automike.htm

Frost

Hey Travis and everone else,

I'm using a 2N3904 NPN transistor to ground the signal in the amp at the entrance to the phase inverter. Is there a better transistor that you can recommend? I'm still getting a little bit of pop coming through...

Thanks,

-Heiko

niftydog

You're sure you're getting full saturation?

I've never done this, but I would hazard a guess that a MOSFET would do a better job.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)