fetzer valve...some questions

Started by mabi, August 02, 2004, 03:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabi

Hi

Did anyone build this pedal from www.runoffgroove.com yet?
I have a few questions about it...:

Does it only boost completely clean or does it make some distortion/overdrive?
Did anyone try the second (higher gain) channel of it? How does this sound like? I'm thinking of integrating a switch so that I can switch between the two channels.....

cheers
Markus

ps: sorry for my bad english :oops:

petemoore

Well it's a sort of 'clean-ish' booster compared to say a Rangemaster, probably along the lines of an LPB, but smoother'...
 For Very "Clean-ish' booster: Mosfet Boost.
 Are You typing about two Fetzers in series chain? I should think it would work just fine, adding character or Mild quality OD.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jazzyfingers04

Petemore: he is talking about the input resistor at the front of the cct. The standard fender value is 68k. If the resistor is lowered to 33k and switched to behind the pulldown resistor, you have built the high gain input of traditional fender amps.

As to how it sounds... The Fetzer is built around one of the basic building blocks of American amplification: the 12ax7 gain stage. The Fetzer its self will not give a lot of distortion, but it would push an amp from breakup into distortion. By switching between the two input designs on the input you will effectively have a rhythm boost and a lead boost. My only recomendations would be to make sure you don't forget to move the 1m pulldown resistor when you switch the "channels" and you might consider a bit of a bmp tonestack, because, like most fender amps, the fetzer can be a bit bright.

mabi

thanks...

would the second channel look like this:

??

mhh any ideas how to switch between these two?

petemoore

When you say 'channels' I' don't completely follow..or if I do, why would you want to have two separate channels....
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jazzyfingers04

That is exactly how it would look.  

In order to switch it, I would start by running the line in from the on/active switch. Then, I would have a spdt switch. This would switch between the two input resistor configurations. the out puts of these would be parelell to each other. now just couple them together (like the letter "Y") This allows you to couple the signals back together.

Thus:
-Input-S1(bypass or active)-S2 (gain switch)-Low gain-(coupled)-Remaining cct
__________________________________  |-High gain-|

Lonestarjohnny

J201 sound good, Mpf102 sounded bright,
Johnny

tcobretti

I feel I should point out that as the fetzer is essentially a clean boost, it's kind of like adding an extra tube the the front of your amp.  So it will likely be overkill if you have a high gain or ss amp.  If you use the mpf102 (I used the j201) it will have less gain and act more like a clean treble booster.

When I built it, I was testing it thru a piece of crap amp I keep next to my workbench.  I was totally unimpressed by the sound.  It finally occured to me that the amp might not be doing the pedal justice, so I took the breadboard back to my Line 6 and fired it up.  I immediately realized how cool it is and was really glad I didn't give up on it.

bwanasonic

FWIW-

I didn't like the sound of a J201 in my Fetzer. It sounded harsh and lacked sparkle compared to a 5457.

Kerry M

mabi

anyone built the "higher gain input" in it? How does the sound of this differ?

tcobretti

I breadboarded both the high and normal inputs and honestly had trouble differentiating between the two.  Maybe I messed something up along the way.  It's a perfect circuit to breadboard and play around with.  

I tried the mpf102s and the 5457s but wasn't happy with either so I went with the j201s.  I guess everybody's ears are different.  I would definitely try all three to figure out which you like most.