Bazz fuss, and adding caps in series/parrallel

Started by Narcosynthesis, August 02, 2004, 03:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narcosynthesis

i intend making the bazz fuss from home wrecker -> http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

firstly, what is the differences in sounds between the normal one and the deluxe one

and the main question, it says you can use different diodes for different sounds, so i intend getting a lot of spst switches, then wiring up loads of different diodes in parrallel, with a switch in series with each of them, so i can switch between them and use different ones, has anyone tried using diodes in parrallel (i know they are done in series sometimes) and would anyone know what it would sound like to have two different diodes in parrallel with each other...

also, i was intending doing the same for the input capaciters, as changing them will change the brightness and low end of the circuit, so if i used two capacitors in parrallel, i could use them one at a time for different sounds, but if i used two in parrallel would it act like a bigger capacitor (both of them added) so by using two capacitors i could get three combinations (cap 1, cap 2 and cap 1+2)(or more if i used more caps in the circuit)

also, does anyone know what size of inductor i should use (i am right in saying an indictor is basically half a transformer) as it says adding one to the input counteracts the loading of low impedance buffers beforehand... but i dont know what size to use

any ideas on this plan? it sound like it could be a cool circuit giving me quite a few different combinations of sounds to play with

David

RickL

In most cases putting two diodes in parallel is the same as using just one with the lowest voltage drop. So a  silicon diode in parallel with a germanium is like having just the germanium.

This actually makes it easier to do what you want. Put the diode with the highest voltage drop (e.g. a LED) in the circuit and use a spdt centre-off switch to connect either of two lower voltage diodes across the one in the circuit. If you use LED, Si and Ge diodes you'll get each of the three choices using just one switch (LED is the middle [off] position).

Note that you can replace any of the diodes with 2 or more in series. So instead of using a LED as the diode with the highest drop you could use two Si's in series. Just make the combination with the biggest voltage drop (voltage drops add in series) the one in the circuit.

Narcosynthesis

well i am going to try and get quite a few diodes, so i will just have an on/off switch for each for overall simplicity

i might try combinations of diodes too, ie, 2 or more in series and some reversed polrity ones (i have seen this on a few circuits... normal diodes with reversed ones in parrallel)

David

Elektrojänis

One valid ption for selecting from many different components is a rotary switch. It does not make trying combinations possible whithout wireing several components to the same pin, but it is nice for the user interface of the finished pedal.

Based on my experiments I think it might also be usefull to have the 100k/10k resistor switchable too. Some diode tupes worked better with the 100k and some with 10k. Maybe even 100k pot in series with a 2k resistor (the 2k would be a protection for shorting it totally).

Narcosynthesis

in the article on home wrecker it says to try socketing everything ecxept that resister, so i was intending leaving it alone, what differences to the sound would it have to vary it slightly?

and i think it will look pretty cool, a stomp switch, one knob and a load of mini switches :D

David

Elektrojänis

I think it biased better with 100k with some diodes and then with 10k for others. The note decay was better. I actually did not test other values but there might be some sweet spots hidden in there. :) I actually liked the 1n4148 diode most. I liked 0.047µF input cap also.

black mariah

The next one I build, I'm going to wire in a pan pot so I can blend between diodes and no diodes. Combined with the switchable clipping diodes I have on the output, and maybe the addition of a Big Muff tonestack, we're talking about some serious tonal possibilities.

My dream is to have more pots and switches than actual on-board components.

Okay, so it's not really a DREAM, I just think it would be funny.

Hal

i thought _this_ was the bazz fuss:

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/fuzz.html

looks similar, except for the diode config.  I see, its a revision...Well, moral - I like how Tim Escobedo's version sounds.  So...check it out if you haven't :-D

black mariah

They all are Bazz Fussessessessesssss, just different takes on the same theme.

nightingale

hello~
christian's original BF design had the 100k resistor.. in my experience, i thought that the 10k had a little smoother note decay with the SI 1n4148's..

Quotealso, i was intending doing the same for the input capaciters, as changing them will change the brightness and low end of the circuit,

..thats basically what the "input cap blend" in on the deluxe BF on the homewereckr site does.. all of the values between the caps are available, by tuning the pot.. it has it's limitations, but it seems to work just fine in the BF circuit..

and if i remember correctly..
the inductor is only important if you are feeding other effects into the BF..
i wouldn't quote me on this on tho..

the bass player in our band uses a deluxe BF.. after AB'ing with alot of other commercial/boutique fuzz's, he chose the BF going away..
pretty amazing how full the circuit sounds, for such a low parts count..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

brett

QuoteI actually liked the 1n4148 diode most. I liked 0.047µF input cap also.
and the 10k resistor.  Although exploring options is fun, you'll only really like a few.  I've built several of these, and the 0.047 (or o.1), MPSA, 10k, 1N4148 version is excellent.  Combined with a Big Muff tone section, as in a Whisker Biscuit or WASP, you'll get an even better and more versatile effect.

have fun
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Narcosynthesis

i usually use a dunlop tremolo/volume pedal as a buffer at the start of my chain, so it would be preferable to include the inductor so i can use it later in my chain

anyone know the value i should use then?

and i had a look at the deluxe version, but i think my way would be slightly simpler (and a row of switches would look cooler :D) as the only addition to the circuit i would be using would be the thickness control, i was going to use the caps he mentioned and one in the middle (4.7 .47 .047) for a decent enough range of sounds, and if i find one setting i like more than others, i can remake it at a later date in a more refined version

David

christian

The "original" had 100k resistor and 1n4148 (that´s only diode I used, except sxktoxxtkys). This was just beta, I later put out a 10k there. It lost the fuzz-edge but did improve the decay.

The original one (not the beta) can be found here

Notice those big 10µf caps? ITS A BASS FUZZ!! :D
who loves rain?

Christ.

Narcosynthesis

what differences do changing the pinput caps and output caps, and what are the difference in the two? i know one controls the eq being input the the fuzz, and one controls the output eq, but what are the differences in sound between the two?

David

brett

Hi.  The caps only pass high frequencies.  Too low and they struggle to get through.  The higher the impedance AFTER the cap, the smaller the cap can be to pass the same frequencies.  ie 10uF and 10k = 1uF and 100k.  Because the following stage might be low impedance, most designs have a big output cap (so you don't lose lows).

Some effects have a small input cap because they are designed to lose bass.  e.g. the Orange treble booster, rangemaster etc often have input caps down to 0.001uF.  Typical transistor input stages have impedance of 50k to 200k, and so input caps for full-range frequency handling are mostly 0.047uF and up (for safety's sake I use 0.1uFs very often - they are small, cheap and high quality).

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Narcosynthesis

so in the context of this circuit, what effect would changing the caps have, and would it be a cool feature to use?

and what are the best types of parts to use, i will get everything i can from maplins as there is one in my town (no other electronics places) as in types of resisters and caps, and the best values (1/4 watt resisters? or something else?)

i think what i may do will be to build a tweakable version 9basically what i have said above) then play about with it and see what i like best, then turn that into a separate pedal (if it is any good of course)

David

christian

If you aren´t too uncomfortable building buffers to front and back of this circuit, you could do a passive high-pass filter on both ends to change the frequency range.
With large cap like 1µF or even 10µF, you get really muzzled up fuzztone. Smaller caps like 47nF will sound more like yer-ordinary-distortion. More like cree-eek than oommphh..
who loves rain?

Christ.

Narcosynthesis

Quote from: christianIf you aren´t too uncomfortable building buffers to front and back of this circuit, you could do a passive high-pass filter on both ends to change the frequency range.
With large cap like 1µF or even 10µF, you get really muzzled up fuzztone. Smaller caps like 47nF will sound more like yer-ordinary-distortion. More like cree-eek than oommphh..

im not scared of adding buffers, just for this i wanted to keep it simple as possible, yet tweakable

and would a buffer being used as a high pass be any better/worse than a simple cap?

is there a reason why i would want to cut the bass? does this make the fuzz nicer sounding or something? cause i dont want to cut much bass out from my amp as it sounds lovely as it is eq wise

also, anyone know of the value of the inductor?

David

christian

If you´d add buffers, you could put in adjustable hipass filters. After the "input" cap(in this case, one after the buffer) put a large pot to ground. I´d say 1M log pot? Or 1µF cap followed by 100k log pot. Then you´d need a large cap after that before the transistor because you´re getting DC from the pot. Same thing for output. Except the hipass filter comes before the buffer.
Seems silly to put these out as pots, since the effect isn´t that dramatic, but you do need logarithmic pots and I´m not sure if you get log-trimpots?

If you don´t want it to sound so "fuzzy" but more like "distortion", you´d better cut the bass out. I prefer to have the bass there, cause the sound is more full.

What inductor?
who loves rain?

Christ.

Narcosynthesis

the inductor was an addition i saw, basically an inductor after the input before the first capacitor, it was added to compensate against the loading of any buffered effects between the pickups and the fuzz

i think it was on the home wrecker article somewhere i saw it

as for adding a buffer, what difference to the sound would it make? and isnt it a semi ajustable low pass filter i am making with te selectable input caps?

David