Audio probe build question

Started by jimbob, August 02, 2004, 08:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I want to build the audio probe found in the help section here-this one-http://www.diystompboxes.com/forums/stompboxforum/

I assume the jack (i have switchcraft) is a mono output jack( 2 leads)? Does it have to be enclosed? What lead on the jack connects to the capasitor?

Basically, can anyone give me more specific instructions on how to build this thing?

thanks,

jim
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Yuan Han

check out geofex, i think there's more info there.

R.G.

QuoteI assume the jack (i have switchcraft) is a mono output jack( 2 leads)? Does it have to be enclosed? What lead on the jack connects to the capasitor?

Basically, can anyone give me more specific instructions on how to build this thing?
The jack is a mono (two lead) jack.
It does not have to be enclosed, but you need some way to hold it in place without your hand doing it. You can use an un-enclosed jack and wrap it with tape. It's simpler to use an enclosed jack.
The ground lead connects to the barrel of the plug. The lug that connects to the tip of the plug has the capacitor soldered to it.

I prefer: (a) get an enclosed jack (b) solder a wire with one aligator clip on the free end to the ground/barrel connection lug (c) solder the capacitor to the tip connection lug.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

Ok- i built this == 1st plugged it into the amp than grounded the black aligator clip to the ground on the board... now, ..with the red (pos) clip i touched it a log diff points on the traces of the board and nothing really happened..What am i doing wrong? Am i supposed to have power on the board? I did. Do i do anything with the input or output of the effect? - i didnt.

niftydog

you need a signal to probe. feed the input with whatever you have. Ideally some sort of signal generator.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Marossy

A down and dirty signal generator can be a keyboard holding a note indefinitely. Or the "Quick and Dirty Audio Ocsillator" at GEO is handy, too. I built it and have used it a fair amount.

TheBigMan

It's a great tool to have for fault finding.  I built mine using an inline jack socket and a couple of old multimeter test leads with an alligator clip on ground and a test probe on signal.  Now I just need to get around to building R.G.'s audio oscillator to save me probing with one hand and trying to pluck guitar strings with the other.  :D

Paul Marossy

Yeah, the audio oscillator is a great thing to have!  8)
I used to do the pluck the string thing, too. What a pain in the rear...  :roll:

Torchy

thomas2

that's my version.. it's easier to hold in my hand when desperately trying to debug something i've messed up  :lol: i know this looks like crap, but it works great :D
tee se itse tai kuole

Paul Marossy

I like the pen idea. That's pretty cool!  8)