Source for Tone Pot for TS?

Started by ayan, August 03, 2004, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayan

Like probably most of you, I use a 25K linear tone pot in my TS clone.  In my opinion, it works, but it's less than desirable.  Are there any known sources for the "G" taper pot used by Ibanez that you can refer me to?  If not, do you have any sources for a 25K audio taper pot?  I would rather have than connected backwards than a linear taper pot.

Thanks very much,

Gil

petemoore

I like the way a TS type works using a tweeked in 10k, for personal use I get almost enough tone control from it [too much is just enough].
 I build so I can tweek the parts around the pot, so it's 'dailed' in where my SC's and HB's like it, a Look at or build of Alexa shows the high end rolloff cap [after the second OA I think] going through a 5k to ground, this gives another TC frequency rolloff...anyway, I like it alot, I can go from quite bright to darker than I generally like.
 Worth the extra knob for my tastes, works great.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Quote from: ayanAre there any known sources for the "G" taper pot used by Ibanez that you can refer me to?

Someone's got to know where to get these... maybe Steve at smallbear could source some of these?

Kerry M

ayan

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: ayanAre there any known sources for the "G" taper pot used by Ibanez that you can refer me to?

Someone's got to know where to get these... maybe Steve at smallbear could source some of these?

Kerry M

I would have thought the same thing.

However, here is an update for the benefit of those that may be frustrated with a 25KL pot.  I tried a 50K RA pot (commonly available thanks to Fender's vibrato), and the thing works pretty well.  The muffled, 100% CCW position opens up fairly quickly because of the reverse audio taper, but I am not sure anyone uses the tone control on a TS almost all the way off, and it's certainly no worse than in the case of a 25KL pot.

What's nice is that the CW end of the pot has a very gradual taper, allowing to more easily dial in the treble depending on the sound one is after, the guitar used, etc.  

It would still be nice to locate a source for the 25K pots with the proper taper, but in their absence, the 50K RA is the best substitute I have found.
Cheers,

Gil

brett

:D   If you're up on you maths, RG's "Secret life of pots" tells you how to build pots with ANY taper, geometric inclused.  Check it out at geofex.com

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

jasonober

QuoteI tried a 50K RA pot (commonly available thanks to Fender's vibrato

where can this pot be found?

ayan

Quote from: jasonober
QuoteI tried a 50K RA pot (commonly available thanks to Fender's vibrato

where can this pot be found?
`

1. New Sensor Corporation

2. Mojo Tone

3. CE Distribution

4. Magic Parts