Moonrock pedal, is it basically a Foxtone?

Started by SteveB, August 03, 2004, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

It has a good variety of sounds with cool swell stuff. Anyone built anything that comes close to these sounds?

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/2/moonrock.htm

Steve

Rodgre

I thought it was more like and Ampeg Scrambler, another equally as raucous octave fuzz.

Roger

SoundTech

Quote from: RodgreI thought it was more like and Ampeg Scrambler

That's what I always heard.  And I seem to remember a number of people saying they really liked theirs.  What I can't quite seem to remember is: is it an exact clone, or is it modded/tweaked in some way.  I'm assuming it uses more available parts instead of the slightly more obscure diodes and trannies of the original Scrambler.  I don't know of anyone who A/B a Moonrock and a Scrambler/Scrambler clone, or of anyone who opened up a Moonrock to peek at the circuit.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

Fret Wire

The Scrambler is easy to find components for. Mouser carries the Fairchild 1N456 diode for $.50 apiece, $.30 per 100. Mouser also carries the proper Fairchild 2N5306 Darlington transistor for $.24 apiece, .13 per 100.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

SteveB

So, a Scrambler also does the cool swell stuff?

Isn't a Scrambler what Jeff Beck used on parts of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" on the album "Wired"? Maybe he used it on "Airblower" or "Scatterbrain",  (I forgot the name), too from "Blow By Blow"

Steve

Fret Wire

Similar, but not exactly. When you find the right settings, it is one crazy effect, yet controllable. Your pick attack and guitar volume knob have alot of influence on the sound and texture. Put a phaser or flanger after it, and it's beserk to the max. Do volume swells with your guitar, and the pedal does the rest. Not a bad fuzz tone either. Kind of an overlooked, underated pedal. I love mine to death. :D I'd definately recommend it for a build.

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/2/ampeg_scrambler.htm
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)