how does this fuzz work, and what is it? (pic)

Started by casey, August 03, 2004, 01:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black mariah

It creates a hole in spacetime that allows background dark matter radiation to flow through. This is fluctuated and recombobulated by the 1490 which then sends the signal to the 7400 for final distortion. This is all BS of course, but it's better than saying "I have no clue, and that schematic makes the front and back parts of my brain want to touch each other." :lol:

Elektrojänis

I'm not an expert on these either but It seems to me that after some filtering and amplification it feeds the signal to logic inverter which would create square waves.

Mark Hammer

For sure the output of the unit will be a squarewave of some sort because the last stage in line is a gate, which will only yield a signal going logic high or logic low.

Whether that signal is mono/polyphonic and/or identical to the fundamental or not is another matter.  I can't see the gate putting out a coherent polyphonic (i.e., all 6 strings at once) signal, so maybe everything else ahead of the last stage is simply gain and lowpass filtering of some sort.

casey

Quote from: Mark HammerFor sure the output of the unit will be a squarewave of some sort because the last stage in line is a gate, which will only yield a signal going logic high or logic low.

Whether that signal is mono/polyphonic and/or identical to the fundamental or not is another matter.  I can't see the gate putting out a coherent polyphonic (i.e., all 6 strings at once) signal, so maybe everything else ahead of the last stage is simply gain and lowpass filtering of some sort.

interesting indeed....it looked really wild...and i was curious....
Casey Campbell

Mark Hammer

EWnter in the part numbers of the first two chips into Google and all you get back are hits in Cyrillic.  I suspect this is not a part you can order through Mouser!  :lol:

casey

Quote from: Mark HammerEWnter in the part numbers of the first two chips into Google and all you get back are hits in Cyrillic.  I suspect this is not a part you can order through Mouser!  :lol:

yup, ive never heard of these chips before....
Casey Campbell

Transmogrifox

I'm guessing the first chip is either a comparator or some type of current amplifier.  Either way it looks configured for high gain (two stages) so to distort and add harmonics and intermodulation terms, then the filtering emphasizes/de-emphasizes certain frequencies so that the logic inverter output is driven high or low at the frequencies most emphasized in the signal.  I'm guessing it's somewhat polyphonic as it is possible to balance the frequency content such that each string can trigger enough chance to drive the inverter high or low.  It's just going to have a bunch of strange modulation and nonlinear things happening that I don't think anybody has or will try to mathematically analyze.  Certainly not me :wink:
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The first chip is an audio preamp, according to the poltran translator. Biasing looks weird, but maybe stuff is happening inside the chip. Which you can buy in Poland, I think.

casey

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The first chip is an audio preamp, according to the poltran translator. Biasing looks weird, but maybe stuff is happening inside the chip. Which you can buy in Poland, I think.

yup, i got this schem off of a polish website.  i wonder how it sounds?
Casey Campbell