Fairchild J201

Started by chumpito, August 04, 2004, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chumpito

I'm attempting a pcb design for jinx and up until now I assumed the pinouts for all transistors was the same regardless of manufacturer.  Is this a mistake with the data sheet or is this a common thing?
Fairchild
Vishay

I'm not sure what kind I have :?

Elektrojänis

To me it looks like they are the same... Am I blind?

nightingale

that  is pretty common pinout IMO~
the only j201's that i have not had to "cross the legs"... were a batch i got from smallbear..
hth,[/i]
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

chumpito

Quote from: nightingalethat  is pretty common pinout IMO~
Does that mean you're saying that it's a common occurance or that one of them is the common pinout? :?

Quote from: nightingalethe only j201's that i have not had to "cross the legs"... were a batch i got from smallbear..
Well at least I wouldn't have to cross the pins with this one, just reverse it, but still, if I were a manufacturer that would seem like a ridculous thing to have to deal with whenever you get in a new shipment of transistors.

spongebob

The Vishay datasheet shows it from the top, maybe that's what's causing the confusion... holding them with the pins down, facing the flat side, it's D - S - G for both of them, or am I blind too?

niftydog

I'm with spongebob, that Vishay datasheet is terrible! Top view makes it confusing.

Pins down, looking at the flat side they're both DSG.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

chumpito

Quote from: spongebobThe Vishay datasheet shows it from the top...

DOOH! Top view. :oops:

Mike Burgundy

Be warned though - some manufacturers DO differ for some BJ's and (...)FETS.
It's rare IMHO - only come across an occurrence of different pinout than the "whatever brand" sheet I had lying around myself- but  it does happen. Frustrating.

Peter Snowberg

I've seen more than one PCB that had pads for two pinouts of the same transistor. If you're making a PCB layout, it's worth thinking about. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Peter SnowbergI've seen more than one PCB that had pads for two pinouts of the same transistor. If you're making a PCB layout, it's worth thinking about. :D
I bet you do it for multiturn trimpots too, right? :wink:

mikeb

Rick L made a good suggestion to me - use an inline arrangement for FETs and BJTs so that a) different pinouts can be accomodated and b) those snap-off IC pins can be used as sockets (100 mil spacing) and hence different parts experimented with.

Mike