Problem with ts9

Started by YouAre, August 04, 2004, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

i have a ts9 (commercial not DIY) that i modded severely. but its weird now. i can faintly hear the distortion when its bypassed. and it doesnt work at all with other pedals when i use a daisy chain. any ideas what the problem could be?

petemoore

It could be one or more of the following.
 Chip failure
 Bad Cap
 Bad connection
 Low Battery
 Could be somethings else too.
 Have you checkede the pin voltages or used an Audio probe on it?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

YouAre

Thing is, that it works fine by itself, except for the problem that you can slightly hear dist when its bypassed.

petemoore

Maybe the mods are just a bit much for a comercail [non true bypass] unit.
 I would have said shielding improvements, but I think the input output wires may  not be the problem.
 You have yourself a tricky widget there, perhaps the Jfet output switching is bleeding some Dist thgouth the clean side...
 These are merely theories, for discussion.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

You have problems with the JFET switching not completely switching off the distortion, and it's mixing into the bypass path. Check the gates of the switching JFETs for 0V when the JFET is pulled to "off". If they're all at 0V, you may have a JFET going south. Some of them do. I've seen this before in commercial TS9s.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

YouAre

can i just skip all that and just replace the necesarry jfets?