DPDT switch pinout

Started by KermitGotF**ked, August 05, 2004, 06:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KermitGotF**ked

Hi,
 Probably a stupid question but how can I tell which pin out of the six pins on a DPDT switch is which? Is there a marking common to all that makes this clear?...Or does it even matter?
Thanks!
You say tomatoe,
I say cabbage.

RDV

Using this diagram from the DIY FAQ we can see that in one position(bypass) that pins 2&3 and pins 5&6 are joined together to provide a path straight through the switch from input jack to output jack. The other position of the switch joins together pins 1&2 and pins 4&5 to give the effect the input from the guitar and to take the effect output to the output jack.

HTH

RDV

KermitGotF**ked

Thanks for the feedback but aside from the layout how would you tell which pin is which? I know there are only two possible ways to look at the switch in accordance with the layout but the wrong one always seems to be my choice!

You probably already answered my question but I think your attatchment is covering half of your reply!!
You say tomatoe,
I say cabbage.

guitarhacknoise

hello!
do you mean, how do you know if pin 1 is in the top left or the bottom right? if so...
 it does'nt matter. i believe the switch just "turns on" or connects the middle row to either the top left and right or the bottom left and right,
as far as the wiring above goes.
the switch is basically two spdt's side by side, so you could use it to turn on or off two circuits at once (not in a bypass manner, but in general.)
"It'll never work."

The Tone God

Its kind of hard to describe without knowing which switch you are using. If the FAQ doesn't help you pull out a multimeter, take some readings, write them down on paper, then figure out the pinouts.

Andrew

jimbob

I had the same question one time--I needed to know where to start on the switch as there were no markings--i learned it doesnt matter really. Just wire it up the way the pic shows..Itl'll most likely work..if not...do it the other way and you got'er done.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

RDV

Gee...I thought I was being very clear & precise. There are no numbers in reality, the diagram is numbered for ease of explanation...or so I thought.

RDV

aron

You need a meter. Purchase one with a continuity test or set it to ohms and use that. Low ohm readings (0 or 1 etc...) indicate a connection.

Now study this page

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/articles/elbypass.html

You just need to figure out the "state" (connection) of the switch.

If there's a connection, the meter will beep or indicate a low ohm number.

Good Luck!

Torchy

nosamiam

I'm a newbie, but I think I can explain it for you.

If effect is off:

Signal goes: in to pin 2--->down to pin 3--->through the short jumper wire to pin 6--->out through pin 5

Step on switch/turn effect on:

Signal goes: in to pin 2--->up to pin 1--->through the effect's circuit--->back in to pin 4--->out through pin 5

Hopefully you're using a switch where the pins look like the one in the diagram.   If so, make sure the pins are vertical when you are looking at the bottom of the switch (like they are in the picture), rather than laying on their sides.  Like this | rather than this __ .  If you have the pins vertical, it doesn't matter which end is up.

If you have a Carling switch, it may look different.  It'll look more like the asterisk on your computer keyboard.  In that case, I have no idea how to wire it.

Good luck!

aron

Hey, great posts, but the original question is how to figure out what pins are what. He needs a meter (and should have one anyway). Once he figures this out, then he can proceed with wiring. :)

Kent S.

Quote from: RDVGee...I thought I was being very clear & precise. There are no numbers in reality, the diagram is numbered for ease of explanation...or so I thought.

RDV

I thought it was rather clear as well, maybe I'm missing something here ... Put another way for the person who posed the question ... with referrence to the first diagram of the thread ... the middle two lugs are the commons or the upper and lower lugs are the throws. The right half is one pole (or switch) and the left half is another pole (or switch) ; both switches are activated at the same time and in the same state ... hence when the middle lug on the left half connects to the upper lug on the left, then the middle lug on the right connects to the upper lug on the right.
Generally the only ones that cause problems are those on/on/on staggerred style throws as in the middle position mose connect the right center lug to the upper roight lug, and the left center lug to the lower left lug when in the center on position.However there are some older ones that are just the opposite. An on/off/on simple doesn't connect the center lugs (the commons) to any of the throws when in the center off position.
Did I miss something in the original question?

KermitGotF**ked

Thanks for the replies! Not only has my question been answered but so have all those other questions I didn't even know I needed to ask!
You say tomatoe,
I say cabbage.