2nd Big Muff build... it's ALIVE!!!

Started by Danny G, August 05, 2004, 09:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Go me!!  I just completed my second Big Muff Pi build, amidst a sea of nervousness on my part--my three projects since my initial BMP build have been failures, and I'm building this one for someone who's going to pay me and needs it by a certain deadline.

I tested all resistors, triple checked all connections and wiring before firing it up.  When I first hooked it up, bada-bing!  Worked like a charm!  Then the tone control started acting funny, so I checked that out--thought i had it in wrong, but didn't.  Tried it out again, and it worked pretty fine!

Now I'm 2 for 5--on the rebound!  

Of course, now I have to put it in a box...

petemoore

Congrats on your well planned/successful Muff Build, it is a fairly large circuit. :)
 "Failures' could/should be swapped with 'learning experiences'...only your hairdresser knows for sure...
 With time, patience, and comebacks, you could probably get those other circuits working...one way or another.
 I've had 'learning experiences' or 'failed experiments' [on the first try], IIRC every circuit I've attempted, I eventually got a working model of! :D .
 It tends to get better, maybe slowly if you're like me, sometimes I used to repeat the same mistake :oops: ...I fixed myself tho...
 Started with the resistance pre-measurings, node info 'assimilation'..'improved' building techniques, etc. it's been quite a number of builds now since I had one I chose to just scrap, then build another.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Way to go! It always comes out better when you double check things while you are building it...  8)

Danny G

Yep, I think all my frustrations and failures are mostly responsible my this successful build.  That, and I was already familiar with the circuit.  i even socketed certain caps for possible mods and socketed the diodes, too.

Glad it worked.  If it hadn't, I'd probably be crying like a baby and breaking shit, heh.

Lonestarjohnny

Hey Danny, you got the BULL by the Horn's Buddy, Congratulation's Bud,
Johnny

jimbob

Congrats! Feels great when that happens--NOt that it happens often to me. I ussually get all mine working (eventually) ...just not the 1st try. I plan to build the same thing soon. I modded my black russian BMP with 2n5089's and it sounds great! It was a little trick as the markings on the transistors were in russian..But i got'er done thanks to the forum.

Time to move on to the next challenge!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Danny G

I just need to get this one in the box--haven't really done THAT yet, heh.

If I can't get my Phase 45 and TS-808 de-bugged, I might just try rebuildin' em both, for shits and giggles.  And because I'm a little better at it now, too.

aron

I love the Big Muff circuit. IMO everyone should have one. :lol:

The beauty about it is that almost all the stages are similar, so it's just repetition (mostly).

Congratulations!!!!

petemoore

I built one, didn't like it that good, and didn't really know what to do with it...it boosted and distorted, the tone knob worked etc...A Bass player loved it...perhapps I try a BMP again soon.

aron

You...... uh...... didn't like the Big Muff.......?

What is the world.....????

Jim Jones

Ummm, my name is Jim and I...uh...don't like the Big muff either...  :)

aron

David

Security to the stompbox forum, please!  We have a couple of imposters here!

Just kidding!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

swt

did you guys changed the caps as suggested??. What does the real thing has?. ( feedback and coupling caps). Any good mods?. I'm planning on making a fuzzbox, with different classics, bmp, axis, face, etc, to have them in one box. What do you think are a "must have fuzz" in our gigging pedalboard??. Thanks a lot!

petemoore

Well to be perfectly honest, and at the risk of being an 'imposter'...no.
 Not to say that I had it even 'right'. back then...IIRC, I Was excited to get what seemed to be a 'properly working' BMP, it was muddy sounding to my earss....
 I'll have to try again soon. I don't think I gave it ample tweeking to have a ;conclusive; report.