Anybody see the new Weber pedalboard transformer?

Started by Ben N, August 05, 2004, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Check it out: 8 x 11vac/300ma windings + 1 x 9vac/2A.  Looks pretty handy, especially if you have noise issues with daisy chaining, and enough power for Gilmour's pedalboard!  (I'm currently running six pedals off ONE 300ma wall wart, so this would give me... 48 pedals, or a complete ROG collection  8) without even getting to the 2A winding!)  No pic or dimensions, tho.

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/wpdlxfmr-1.htm

BTW, what would be the best way to get 18v--put a charge pump or doubler on one winding, or tie two together, with the junction as "center tap"?

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Peter Snowberg

Very Cool! 8)

They say this transformer will be available August 25th for a singles cost of $30

Ben, if you want to get a high voltage source you could either use a voltage doubler since boosters take very little current compared to what's there, or you could simply tie two of those 11V windings in series with the connection of the two coils being insulated. Feed that 22VAC to a bridge rectifier and a couple of big caps for filtering and you then get roughly 30 volts DC. Add a LM317 regulator to get down to your desired voltage and a couple of small caps (10uF & .1uF) across the regulator output. There you go. :D Either way will work fine. I would forget about charge pumps though. :)

That 9V 2A winding has enough juice to run a tripler or quadrupler (or more) for you HV booster freaks. ;)

Now how big is the sucker and what form factor ????? :?
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

BDuguay

I'm kinda surprised this news hasn't generated a little more interest outside of us 3. This is pretty darned exciting! I was trying to figure out how I was going to afford a Voodoo labs Pedal Power 2 and now it looks like I'll be able to make my own.
It's not quite like winning the lottery but... well... you know.
B.

Chico

They also have a 3pdt footswitch for $6.00.  

Thanks for the link.

Tom

aron

Yes they do. The footswitch is good. However, it's not tested and the shipping costs are higher and they take a longer time to ship. That's been my experience. I do like Weber though.

Ben N

FWIW, my experience with Ted Weber has been good.  I have a couple of his speakers in my Vibrochamp and Deluxe Reverb, and a Blue Pup that is looking for the right home.  All very good quality and sound.  He is also very helpful and responsive at his BBS.  OTOH, I haven't dealt directly with him since he greatly expanded his product line, so I can imagine there are growing pains.  But his prices are quite competetive (say with Angela or Antique), his products are both good and innovative (MASS, Beam Blockers, etc.) and he definitely has his ear to the ground as far as what people want.  I will definitely be ordering from him soon.

Still, I can't really imagine a pedalboard that needs that kind of power, but for the price, who cares, as long as the dimensions are within reason.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

travissk

Looks really interesting! I too would be interested in knowing how big and how expensive it ends up being.

aron

I have a Weber Speaker and two MASS units.

I love them.

R.G.

QuoteCheck it out: 8 x 11vac/300ma windings + 1 x 9vac/2A.
Neat!
Gosh, that's the exact transformer you'd need for... the Spyder power supply (http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/Spyder/spyder.htm).

Quotehe definitely has his ear to the ground as far as what people want.
Somebody is watching at least.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

aron

When I read this message, that's the first thing I thought of.

bwanasonic

Quote from: Ben N
Still, I can't really imagine a pedalboard that needs that kind of power

Oh, I can!  :twisted:

Kerry M

PS. I love my Blue Dog!

brett

I can imagine the pedalboard and need for the power, but why the multiple taps?  My cheapo 1A supply with daisy-chained daisy chains works great (for 10 pedals).  I must be missing something.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Ben N

Yup, daisy chain works ok for me, too, but some folks get audible ground loops that way, so the absolute quietest way to power 'em all up, short of batteries, is with completely separate transformers or secondaries (not multiple taps).  Check out RG's Spyder article.[/i]
  • SUPPORTER